Aristocrats in the Armed forces.

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by KGB_resident, Feb 17, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Are you one of them?

How many noblemen in the British armed forces?

Why do you love (or hate?) them?

Thanks in advance.

2. There's a lot of dyslexics in the mared forces.

3. Perhaps if you explained WTF you are on about???? 8O

4. Wibble 8O

5. What about noblewomen? :?

6. LETS JUMP START THIS THREAD -

Do you mean - the aristocracy - group noun - a class of people who hold high social rank. Eg RLC Officers. :lol: :lol:

7. The Duke Of Westminster, a Major General in the Territorial Army, is Assistant Chief of Defence Staff (Reserves and Cadets).

8. In real life I am the Rt Hon Alastair Wincey StJohn Feathersonehaugh, 13th Duke of Wimbourne.

9. RTFQ

RTFQ RIP

Hey! I take offence at that. One obtains nobility by virtue of one's actions, not by virtue of which hole they entered this world through. :D

10. No doubt that prince Harry is an aristocrat. There is a House of Lords in the UK. So I suppose that there are live Lords (and their sons). All of them: Earls, Barons, Viscounts, Counts and so on served in the Armed Forces. There was a lot of them especially in the Navy. What about nowdays?

Initially I meant aristocrats by birth - the Lords by birth.

OK. Let's regard word 'aristocrat' in this meaninig: aristocrats by birth + the rich + sons (and daughters?) of high ranked politicians, generals, admirals + other representatives of upper classes.

11. Roman Abramovich is rich - would you count him as a member of the British aristocracy? :roll:

12. Roman Abramovich:
    Vulgar new money- and Johnny Foreigner to boot.

13. Most of these people have served, fought and died for their country over countless years

14. Your Lordship!

You are very nice looking lad.

http://www.slowdownloads.com/gallery/gray/duke

Many years ago I was impressed by reading 'Moonstone' by Wilkie Collins. As I understand, warcrimes comitted by a noblemen is unremovable stain on their reputation. So I suppose British Armed Forced need noblemen as true leaders.

15. Rich doesn't equal aristocracy, nor, thankfully, does being the spawn of slimy politicians!