Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Builds Ariel Arrow Motorcycle, Airfix Vintage model kit

the bike has not taken well to a dark wash, I may have to add weathering with an airbrush instead.
bike paint faults.png

Re the motorbike.

If you compare the photo to your model, you'll see that the chain cover and the engine are inline, whereas on the photo there's a definite kink. If you imagine straitening out the kink, in the photo, the real bike would have the same problem as your model.

Can you reglue the chain cover with kink and thus shorten the whole?

finally the last colours added to the figure, ok not perfect, but I'm going to do more large scale figures and perfect my skills in this area, Great news today about Airfix/Hornby doing so well.
final figure.png

Re the motorbike.

If you compare the photo to your model, you'll see that the chain cover and the engine are inline, whereas on the photo there's a definite kink. If you imagine straitening out the kink, in the photo, the real bike would have the same problem as your model.

Can you reglue the chain cover with kink and thus shorten the whole?
I'm going to leave it as Airfix intended after all that, with the exhaust pipes on you have to look carefully to see any hint of a problem, correcting it half way through construction is a recipe for disaster for a plastic kit, Just the pedals and brake lines to go. May even use this original Airfix wheel stand that came in the kit, as Airfix are doing so well in the news today.
bike with exhaust pipes fitted.png

scrub that above, the bike came apart and I moved the wheel forward 3mm.
bike in pieces.png

made a base with worn flag stones forming a bike parking area.
female biker pegged.png

the female biker has pegs molded into the soles of the boots, so she was easy to drill and peg into place.
female figure pegged.png

the bike reassembled, with all the pedals fitted.
bike constructed.png

these pedals cross over, not being a biker I'm unsure if this is correct, the instructions are vague at this point.
crossing over pedals.png

the bike and figure test fitted to the base, just needs a glass dome over them to keep out dust and inquisitive little fingers.
finished model c.png

finished model a.png

finished model d.png

A couple of points if I may . . . .

The two
the bike reassembled, with all the pedals fitted.
View attachment 516354
these pedals cross over, not being a biker I'm unsure if this is correct, the instructions are vague at this point.
View attachment 516355
1. It's correct - the upper one is a fixed footrest, not a pedal. The longer lever underneath is the rear brake pedal.

2. If the bike is on the centre stand, with rear wheel raised off the ground, the rear wheel would drop down as the rear wheel springs/shock absorbers extended under nil load. The rear wheel on your model is in a position where it would be if under load. An answer would be to tilt the bike backwards so that the rear wheel is on the ground, then position the riders arse on the edge of the pillion seat, as though gently leaning/resting against it, and weighing the back of the bike down.

Last edited:
A couple of points if I may . . . .

The two

1. It's correct - the upper one is a fixed footrest, not a pedal. The longer lever underneath is the rear brake pedal.

2. If the bike is on the centre stand, with rear wheel raised off the ground, the rear wheel would drop down as the rear wheel springs/shock absorbers extended under nil load. The rear wheel on your model is in a position where it would be if under load. An answer would be to tilt the bike backwards so that the rear wheel is on the ground, then position the riders arse on the edge of the pillion seat, as though gently leaning/resting against it, and weighing the back of the bike down.

in your second point, if I lower the rear wheel to the ground, would the real bike have the front tyre off the ground?

edit to add, just noticed Helms picture above in post 51 showing both wheels on the ground with the stand down, I may have to go over to the side(kick) stand.

Last edited:

Latest Threads