Argy president says right to Malvinas "inalienable"

#1
Mrs Kirchner still banging on about it. Why do they bother? You'd have thought they had the message by now. Anyway I thought we were buddies now?

ARGENTINA'S claim to the Falkland Islands, which remain in British hands after a 1982 war, is "inalienable", President Cristina Kirchner says.

"The sovereign claim to the Malvinas Islands (Argentina's name for them) is inalienable," she said in a speech marking the 26th anniversary of Argentina's ill-fated invasion of the two islands 480km offshore.

The April 2, 1982 invasion prompted the British prime minister at the time, Margaret Thatcher, to deploy naval forces to retake the Falklands.

They did so, resulting in Argentina's surrender on June 14 after the death of 649 Argentines and 255 Britons.

Historians saw the invasion as an attempt by Argentina's ruling military junta then in power to divert attention from domestic problems.

Ms Kirchner's comment came as she faces her own woes, battling against farmers who have barricaded roads in a protest against a stiff tax hike on soybean exports.

The conflict has created shortages of meat and other staples in Buenos Aires and elsewhere, and tested the social fabric, with pro- and anti-government supporters holding dueling rallies.

Ms Kirchner, in her speech, called for Argentina to strengthen its representation in international fora to denounce "this shameful colonial enclave in the 21st century".

Her vice president, Julio Cobos, said in the southern city of Rio Grande that "we must recover this territory that is ours, that belongs to us".
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23476296-23109,00.html
 
#4
I accept their inalienable claim to the Falklands, as long as they accept our inalienable right to tell 'em to F*ck off! (Well, we'll sink a ship or two while we're at it, for old times sake.)
 
#5
well lets just ask the bennies who they want to be governed by
and while we are at it how many ethnic argentinians are there in the falklands
 
#6
PassingBells said:
Their farmers are on strike and the economy is tanking.

It's what Argentine Presidents do when the going gets tough.
As well as singing duets with Geordie brickies:



"That Eva's a right canny lass,man"
 
#7
Is it going off again :p

I'm up for another go at 'em :lol: :lol:

When do we leave? I'll need to buy some kit. :? :?

Now, where's my boots and beret.........
 

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
#8
Nothing to do with the price of oil making the reserves around the Falklands a very attractive proposition then . . .

Another thing - what is the internationally recognised territorial limit from shore out to sea these days?

Oh, wait a minute!

Tellingraph


Argentina fury at UK bid for Falkland seas

By Oliver Balch in Buenos Aires and Colin Freeman
Last Updated: 1:00am BST 23/09/2007

Argentina has reacted furiously to plans by Britain to lay claim to vast new tracts of potentially oil and gas-rich territories in the seas off the Falklands.

In a move likely to add new heat to the long-running diplomatic dispute, British officials are preparing to submit a bid to the United Nations to prove that thousands of extra square miles of the surrounding ocean floor are geographically part of the islands.

The claim follows a new approach in international law which holds that a nation's legitimately-held territory can extend up to 350 miles from its coast, if it can verify that it is part of the shoreline's underlying continental shelf.

In the case of the Falklands, that could extend the zone of British exploration rights on the seabed well beyond its existing 200-mile boundary, bringing it into direct conflict with Argentinian claims the other way.
 
#9
Mr_Deputy said:
Aliens in the Malvinas?
What next?


There appears to be a lot more trees than I remember.
Maybe the Argies are going to start a logging company.
 
#10
balldrick said:
well lets just ask the bennies who they want to be governed by
and while we are at it how many ethnic argentinians are there in the falklands
Quite. And to be honest,I know what my first choice would be:



[align=center]or[/align]

 

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
#11
Usual opathetic response of an inadequate leader when his domestic economy begins to go tits up - pretend it's all someone else's fault (like Sukarno). Didn't do Galtieri much good in the end.
 

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
#12
seaweed said:
Usual opathetic response of an inadequate leader when his domestic economy begins to go tits up - pretend it's all someone else's fault (like Sukarno). Didn't do Galtieri much good in the end.
Difference now is that, apart from the possible income for the oil and gas companies, this gobment hates the UK, hates empire, hates colonies and will roll over for anyone who even suggest that this is a colonial outpost.

Imagine if the Argentinians (Spanish colonists mostly) did actually re-invade the Falklands: Cue hand-wringing Labliar not only NOT taking the place back for 'colonial reasons' and reasons of apalling defence budget and ill-considered wars, but apologising to the Spanish colonials for taking the place in the first instance. :evil:
 
#13
Do the Argies stand a chance of getting them back?

I mean we have no good reason to give them, and have we not turned the Falklands into a fortress these days?
 
#14
Yea its ALOT better defended than it was in 82, even the FDF has better kit than us,you would think they would learn along with being war like gods us British are, we have an experienced armed forces, They can "come and have a go if they think there 'ard enough!" but in all honesty its just another speech about the falklands the argie political leaders give anually every 6 months to keep the public sweet about national pride. :p:D

I should be in office dont you think?

Cal
 
#15
Biped said:
Difference now is that, apart from the possible income for the oil and gas companies, this gobment hates the UK, hates empire, hates colonies and will roll over for anyone who even suggest that this is a colonial outpost.

Imagine if the Argentinians (Spanish colonists mostly) did actually re-invade the Falklands: Cue hand-wringing Labliar not only NOT taking the place back for 'colonial reasons' and reasons of apalling defence budget and ill-considered wars, but apologising to the Spanish colonials for taking the place in the first instance. :evil:
Talking of Spaniards, how is the hand-back of Gibraltar going? Seem to recall NuLab saying a few years ago it was considering handing it over.

My mum (ex redcap WRAC) told me that Hong Kong island wasn't due to go back with the mainland Territories but the government sold them out too.
 
#18
Being realistic, even though we may think it's just politics for the masses, do we have the resources to defend a British commitment or are we too stretched fighting everyone else's wars?. Are there enough squaddiesstrong enough to swim to the Falklands because I don't think there's enough naval slack to ship them out.
 
#19
AlMiles said:
Talking of Spaniards, how is the hand-back of Gibraltar going? Seem to recall NuLab saying a few years ago it was considering handing it over.

My mum (ex redcap WRAC) told me that Hong Kong island wasn't due to go back with the mainland Territories but the government sold them out too.
They tried to give Gib back, but ninety-something percent of the population said no, and nu-lab for once listened to the people.

Re HK. IIRC Hong Kong Island was ceeded in perpetuity, while we only leased the New-Territories. The Gov't decided that HK Island wasn't a viable standalone operation, so they handed the whole lot back to China, in exchange for certain guarantees/promises made by the Chinese.
 
#20
AlMiles said:
Biped said:
Difference now is that, apart from the possible income for the oil and gas companies, this gobment hates the UK, hates empire, hates colonies and will roll over for anyone who even suggest that this is a colonial outpost.

Imagine if the Argentinians (Spanish colonists mostly) did actually re-invade the Falklands: Cue hand-wringing Labliar not only NOT taking the place back for 'colonial reasons' and reasons of apalling defence budget and ill-considered wars, but apologising to the Spanish colonials for taking the place in the first instance. :evil:
Talking of Spaniards, how is the hand-back of Gibraltar going? Seem to recall NuLab saying a few years ago it was considering handing it over.

My mum (ex redcap WRAC) told me that Hong Kong island wasn't due to go back with the mainland Territories but the government sold them out too.


I think you'll find that Hong Kong Island was handed back with Kowloon and the leased territories (New Territories) because the island on it's own would have been undefendable and impossible to support from any land base we had.
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top