Arguably - Christopher Hitchens

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by billybongo, Feb 9, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A collection of the great, late polemicist's sharpest, most incisive essays. Keep a dictionary to hand but a perspicacious and often witty insight into books, life and oddities. You can dip in and out, so it's a superb travelling companion. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Just got Dalrymple's Return of a King for my geburtstag and looking forward to that.

• Like Like x 1
  2. He did a creditable job blowing the myth of Mother Teresa.

3. Odd that you should mention blowing. He writes a witty commentary on blow jobs in "Arguably".

4. I will need to re-read 'The Missionary Position'. I was not aware that that was one of her skills.

5. It's a shame that the wrong Hitchens was taken from us. An utterly marvellous writer and a top-notch bon f**king viveur,

• Like Like x 1
  6. Just a pity that "Hitch 22" is a conceit.

7. Hitchens said "The four most overrated things in life are champagne, lobster, **** sex and picnics."

The above sounds like a damned fun afternoon to me with a young lady.

8. No, Peter has some very good arguments on a lot of issues. He can be as much of a pillock as Christopher was on some things, though, and as much as I admire Christopher's attitudes to religion, I think it would be a grave error to think he spoke the ultimate truth on it.

9. You're right - but one could apply that to everyone (Jesus included). But he did have a splendid knack of putting prelates and zealots on the back foot and exposing their pious mendacity.

• Like Like x 1