• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Argies Targetting Oil Companies in the courts

M

Mr_Tigger

The article fails to mention which courts. Furthermore, post 2003 there has developed this fashion for people with strong, often ill-informed opinions to declare everything controversial and displeasing, at least to them regarding international relations as 'illegal'. I do wish they would all **** off.

I think this sort of childish behavior is more likely to hurt the argie economy than ours. They are trying very hard to make life difficult for the islanders though.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
It's not as if Rockhopper et al have a presence in BA. So if this does come to anything what's to stop the companies from telling BA to do one?

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
So what they gonna do
Send a couple of fat spick bouncers out in a rowning boat shouting "Oi you can't drill for oil here"

I await the "Falkands Bouncers appeal to court that orreebelle ingleesh soldiers are wearing trainers on the Malvinas". thread

the mad cow has even managed to piss of the Spanish and it takes some doing to get them off their collective arrses. She has stated she will take the REPSOL refinery into state ownership. Apparently even the King of Spain phoned her and asked her not to be so silly.

It's not as if Rockhopper et al have a presence in BA. So if this does come to anything what's to stop the companies from telling BA to do one?
Likely some drilling rights if there's any seams are found to continue under Argentina perhaps?

I'm sure as an internatiional drilling exploration company, it's probably not in their interest to tell anyone to 'do one', unless as is reported, they find a stack of the black stuff off the FI and get a decent share in the rights/profits/whatever

I think the thing to remember chaps is that Senora Presidente is not only Menopausal but suffering from a Cancer of some sort, so, it,s bound to make the scraggy bint a tad crazy and pissed off in general, but dont worry, it,ll all be over soon.

The woman is a fruit-bat but a cunning one.
Hopefully cancer will get the better of her before she causes more problems. Much more cost effective for us in terms of money and relations if she just dies, Argentina would be better off too.

the mad cow has even managed to piss of the Spanish and it takes some doing to get them off their collective arrses. She has stated she will take the REPSOL refinery into state ownership. Apparently even the King of Spain phoned her and asked her not to be so silly.
As of Wednesday two states have 'withdrawn' drilling rights. Although there is a 90 day consultation period involved in this and Repsol have started legal action. I think we'll see Argentina do a quiet U turn on this one but if we don't then rest assured another default is on the way. At the moment they are refusing to pay the US 40BN dollars owed, the US are pushing for IMF sanctions, she has nationalised private pensions and is imposing import tarrifs on a number of products from a number of neighbours. Whilst unofficial inflation figures are around 15-20%

She is currently in Chile where it's predicted both countries will issue a statement reaffirming Argentina's claim on the FI. Quite a good deal for the Chile who will keep the weekly flights to the FI with their national airliner in return for a few non commital words at a press conference.

They are taking the issue to the courts. What court? Is the first question that comes to mind. But also this:
The oil companies have some of the best legal minds in the world on their payrolls and make billions of dollars every year.
The Argentinians are a recently reformed semi-Nazi dictatorship where the rule-of-law held about as much water as the average collander.
They don't have much chance when it comes to settling the issue in court.

When the president is nationalising large industries at a rate that would make Hugo Chavez go "Ola, Chica! Slowee Downee!"; then large stockholder owned commercial multinationals are likely to choose the other (in this case: British) side. So will the IMF (which is involved in another issue concerning Argentina, the US and some 40Bn dollars) and the World Bank. I guess the inflation over there is likely to go up a bit from the 15% they have now when foreign money starts to leave and Ms de Kirchner has to raise taxes even higher and start printing more Pesos. Radicalisation is rarely the solution to social-economical problems and trying to distract public opinion by starting a war with the British hasn't ever worked for anyone!

In short: She has no case; nothing to win; a lot to lose and less and less money left.

So she's****ed!

They are taking the issue to the courts. What court? Is the first question that comes to mind. But also this:
The oil companies have some of the best legal minds in the world on their payrolls and make billions of dollars every year.
The Argentinians are a recently reformed semi-Nazi dictatorship where the rule-of-law held about as much water as the average collander.
They don't have much chance when it comes to settling the issue in court.

When the president is nationalising large industries at a rate that would make Hugo Chavez go "Ola, Chica! Slowee Downee!"; then large stockholder owned commercial multinationals are likely to choose the other (in this case: British) side. So will the IMF (which is involved in another issue concerning Argentina, the US and some 40Bn dollars) and the World Bank. I guess the inflation over there is likely to go up a bit from the 15% they have now when foreign money starts to leave and Ms de Kirchner has to raise taxes even higher and start printing more Pesos. Radicalisation is rarely the solution to social-economical problems and trying to distract public opinion by starting a war with the British hasn't ever worked for anyone!

In short: She has no case; nothing to win; a lot to lose and less and less money left.

So she's****ed!
Yes she is indeed****ed, but lets not forget that soon she will be on an "Urgent Note" and preparing for the big check out, and besides there seem to be quite a few brace of split arses running Argland right now and that tells me there is a lot of fishwife screeching at Cabinet Meetings, leading to outrageous accusations of dirty dealing by outsiders, namely us Brits.

Latest Threads