Argentinian Fighters from WW2

These guys would have been in their 60s during the Falklands War. How many of them were even active in-date pilots and in a position to "volunteer" to fly ops?

The WW2 aspect deserves coverage, but the latter claim seems a bit dubious.
I was in the Space Cadets (RAF Cadets) in 1979. was a spotter and still am - used to read all the RAF recognition manuals etc. Going on try flights at RAF Cosford, Brize Norton and others. I do remember one of the Pilots after my first flight in a chipmunk, we had all had one flight each. He said who wants another flight, we all stuck our arms up. “OK , says he, what was the wing span of a Me 109?”

I say 32 Feet.

He says , well you win.

As we take off , remember he said something like, Why do you need to know that , we just shot at the aircraft with a bloody cross on it but well done anyway.

So in 79 there were still pilots in the RAFR who served in WW2.

I was in the Space Cadets (RAF Cadets) in 1979. was a spotter and still am - used to read all the RAF recognition manuals etc. Going on try flights at RAF Cosford, Brize Norton and others. I do remember one of the Pilots after my first flight in a chipmunk, we had all had one flight each. He said who wants another flight, we all stuck our arms up. “OK , says he, what was the wing span of a Me 109?”

I say 32 Feet.

He says , well you win.

As we take off , remember he said something like, Why do you need to know that , we just shot at the aircraft with a bloody cross on it but well done anyway.

So in 79 there were still pilots in the RAFR who served in WW2.
There were a few Senior Captains in BA who'd been in Bomber Command in the 70's too .
Last time I flew to Argentina on BA one of the cabin staff was ex 29 Commando in 1982 .
He didn't take much nonsense from Argentine passengers .

Wasn't Argentina one of the favoured sanctuaries for senior Nazis fleeing prosecution?
Twas also the one Central and South American Nation NOT to be given large amounts of material under lend lease and Good neighbor programs

Twas also the one Central and South American Nation NOT to be given large amounts of material under lend lease and Good neighbor programs
Comparison is often made between the scientists and engineers who worked under the Nazi regime (obviously becoming party members) who were lifted and utilised by the allied powers, and those architects, executors and executioners who were granted sanctuary by the Argentinian establishment and society.

A false equivalence by the reckoning of many.

The movie Operation FINALE, about the abduction of Adolph Eichmann by MOSSAD to face trial in Israel is a reasonable insight to the prevailing attitude towards Nazi war criminals.

Correct , because unlike Brazil they refused to join the Allies .
Brazil had a brigade of troops serving under Mark Clark's 5th US Army in Italy , and a few fighter squadrons flying ( I think ) P47's
Argentina declared war on the Axis on the 23rd of March , 1945 , a mostly symbolic gesture , given that they then opened the door to as many Nazis and their acolytes who could get across , pissing the Americans off even further .
Peron and Evita were not doing this for ideological or humanitarian reasons , they were paid in gold for every man they brought across .
A lot of the people who fled there were technicians the Americans would have wanted for themselves .
They helped develop the Argentine nuclear , rocket and aviation industries from 1946 to 1955 , when a military coup deposed Peron and cancelled a lot of these projects under American pressure .
Hitler himself is said to have escaped there , the body in bunker being that of a doppelganger .
It is conceivable , after all , the Nazi hierarchy knew the game was over by 1943 and they had plenty of time to plan such an escape . Hitler , having survived 11 known assassination attempts completely believed in his own destiny so he was hardly the sort to shoot himself in a fit of self pity .
German submarines were surrendering to the Argentine navy as late as August 1945
There are said to be two other ones lying off the coast as well , having been scuttled
Patagonia has ranches on it the size of Wales , and any were owned by German families , so concealment was never a problem .
Good book about it called " The Grey Wolf " , though it is rather inconclusive at the end it does point out that , with any crime , always follow the money and see where that leads you .