Argentine War Memorial in the Falklands vandalised

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by MikeMcc, Jul 31, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Whatever the rights and wrongs associated with the war and the political muck-about afterwards, this is so wrong. We hope and expect that our war memorials are respected wherever they may be. Similarly those of other nations troops should be similarly respected, the Argentinians killed in the war didn't start it, the Junta did.

Argentine war cemetery in Falkland Islands vandalised - Telegraph

• Like Like x 11
  2. I fully agree but I have to say that my first thoughts were that it was done by Argentinians to stoke the fire and feed the flames on the mainland.

I can't think why anyone would do such a thing who's there.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Given the attempts of KFC and co to whip up a political frenzy, the possibility of it being the work of an Agent Provocateur must be considered.

4. Could the 'blows' have been made by a hockey stick?

• Like Like x 1
  5. I'd be very surprised if this was a local.
    They may have their faults, but the have always show respect to the Argentine war graves and been able to make the differentiation between the poor sods who got killed and the Junta that sent them there.

6. I wholeheartedly agree - The Argies who died need their respects paying to them as well. But it doesn't make total sense, as to put it on land that realistically, the families might not feel comfortable to visit and see the memorial.

I guess their families were proud at the time, fighting for land what they believed was there's, now I bet they couldn't give 2 shits about the Falklands and they're more bothered about the fact they lost a son/brother/husband.

Apart from the odd one who's a nutcase and still backs their insane parliment.

7. A friend of mine in BA lost a brother in the war - he was an A4 pilot. He holds the Junta totally responsible for his death, not the Rapier that shot him out of the sky. Both were married at the time to British girls - Raoul still is. He has been back every year to the memorial since it was built, and is a very firm believer in 'No more WAR' over the Falklands.

tac

8. I hope this doesn't start a tit for tat on any UK memorials in Argentina and that cool heads prevail. We can do without what those b#####ds have been doing in Libya to the Commonwealth cemeteries there.

9. Completely unacceptable behavious. Agent provocateurs must be considered a possibility.

I agree that the Junta are to blame and the conscripts were simply in the wrong place at the wrong time.

KFC is trouble. Please God this does not start a pattern.

10. Agreed with what others have said. The Telegraph is right to have reported this deplorable act of vandalism on a shrine in the cemetery. It appears that there is no question of any graves or gravestones having been damaged, but any damage within such a cemetery is a serious criminal act. The pre-Olympic video of an Argentine cavorting on a British Falklands Islands memorial was also foolish and irresponsible, but did not cause damage, unless it has inspired revenge action on the part of some pissed-up local, unlikely as that may be.

IF “The impacts on the glass appear to be caused by bullets,” according to Senor Cesar Trejo, we can be absolutely certain that any bullets were nothing whatever to do with the British Army, although some Argentines may prefer to believe otherwise.

The Telegraph report says, however, that "Images of the damage show the glass was broken by more than a dozen sharp blows", which is not the same thing at all.

The Royal Falkland Islands Police is, quite rightly, investigating this appalling act and we must hope that the perpetrator is swiftly identified and brought to justice.

11. Looks like it's been hit repeatedly by the ball end of a hammer.

12. My POV, if I may?

• Like Like x 2
  13. The glass of the memorial, or the Argie president?

• Like Like x 4
  14. What's with the outrage, the grave stones are the memorials and they were untouched. This was a shrine to make believe Jesus and his imaginary mother Mary.

Whilst I would be appalled by the desicration of graves, the outrage whores on here are making Liverpool proud, it's no worse than a notices box at st pauls having its glass front broken by a blind pidgin but we don't claim they are discrediting the life of Diana.

Ffs