Argentine Tactics Falklands

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Camerons Advance., Jun 24, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,
    New to the site. I am trying to find out what the Argentine Infantry tactics were in the Falklands Conflict. I have seen and read lots about the war but I am interested in the fine detail- at Goose Green did they have level 5 trenches dug in giving in depth defence and overlaping arcs of fire?

I am a Canadian Infantry Officer, The Canadian tactics are almost exactly the same as the British and I am amazed and impressed with how the British won the conflict against all odds.

Any info would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

2. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

From what I've seen of interviews with Argentinian veterans, I think they're still trying to find out too.

Try 'Goose Green: a battle is fought to be won', it's on my shelves somewhere but can't remember who it's by.

3. You could try pm'ing Pararegtom as he fought in the Falklands with 2 PARA. Obviously being in the battle at Goose Green as well.

4. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

the dan snow program on battles features goose green. they were defending a hamlet so would have ringed it with dug in positions and put the heavy weapons in the middle. there is also a small bbc series on the falklands which should be found on torrent sites. the ground is very wet, peaty and stoney so trenches were not pleasant and would have been purely fighting ones

when they hit the stanley hills they did overlap the hills with defensive fire, I cant remember which one (think it was longdon) but they took the hill out of sequence and found out that the opposing forces had sighted sf guns onto the hill before which could have wiped out the attack which had stalled for different reasons.

they also used a great deal of mines to try and channel us into the killing grounds and strongpoints which were basically hills turned into bunkers, I think 2 para had an issue where they set out on a night attack only to end up in a minefield and having to turn back.

Falklands Index

The Falklands War: The Untold Story (TV 1987) - IMDb

battle for the south atlantic - Google Search

5. wasn't it just walk towards the Brits...

or

stay in your foxhole...

iirc the conscripts only had a few months service/training behind them.

6. I got the impression that there were a lot of well trained regulars there too.

7. The initial force were regs, but they were replaced by conscripts. The marines wre regular, and tere a number of regs there.

The conscripts presence is why the 'mums of the malvinas' mob in Argentina are so stroppy.. They regard it as murder that happened to their sons (sometimes by the British, sometimes teh junta).

8. including the Argie SF who by all accounts put up a decent show against the likes of 3PARA Patrols and UKSF.