Argentine sub has gone missing.

Although the Argentines have admitted sending the submarine to the Falklands, it was probably more a training/perisher type mission than a real effort to gain serious military intelligence. After all what could they use information gained for, given the weakness of all three of their services.
Surely a training/perisher type mission would be better conducted with opfor assets under the control of distaff, not a foreign power who are unaware that they are the subject of a friendly training exercise, and could react in a hostile manner.

Surely a training/perisher type mission would be better conducted with opfor assets under the control of distaff, not a foreign power who are unaware that they are the subject of a friendly training exercise, and could react in a hostile manner.
Unless there is a type 23 down there, which is quite a rare occurence, i doubt we have anything capable of acting in a hostile manner to a submerged sub.

Unless there is a type 23 down there, which is quite a rare occurence, i doubt we have anything capable of acting in a hostile manner to a submerged sub.
Atlantic Patrol Tasking South is a frigate or destroyer (plus RFA), along with the possibility of an SSN.

This day in 1987 I had just finished my Falklands tour, the resident battalion Irish Rangers had just marched around MPA at daybreak with pipes and drums (And wearing Shamrock).

Last edited:
Apart from our submerged sub, the whereabouts of which they cannot be sure of until they realise it's too close.
They probably won't know it is there, let alone too close, unless it gave them a single ping (Vasiliy!).

Or really scare the shit out of them by going 'All' on the selection switch - lots of ripples and pings then to disorientate them!

That's not the only way it could have got through. WhatsApp uses an internet connection which may be via a mobile phone network, or may be through any other connection to the internet, via Inmarsat for example.
Indeed but I don't reckon providing that kind of service was high on their navy's list in the refit.

Sounds like more of a face saving exercise, . . . .belonging to an under funded Navy by a country that seems to have little regard for its armed forces.
Some of that has a very familiar ring to it, now what does it remind me of? Oh yes, the RN.

I was just musing about the Argies putting ashore an SF team. It could really get embarrassing if, after losing a submarine, the team wandered into one of the many Argentinian minefields that they forgot to chart in 1982.

Although the Argentines have admitted sending the submarine to the Falklands, it was probably more a training/perisher type mission than a real effort to gain serious military intelligence. After all what could they use information gained for, given the weakness of all three of their services.
Perhaps sailing a risky mission (more than they had bargained for) seemed a better idea to the government than just looking up the shipping movements on a mobile phone shipping app.