Argentine sub has gone missing.

You want a conspiracy theory? OK.
The boat was said to have SF personnel on board. Did they land, wander about for a day or so and return? Or did they land and relieve SF personnel who were already there? If the latter, there could be some very hungry soldiers waiting for a pick up.

I think this is being looked at in completely the wrong way.

Why can't we grasp the opportunity and offer to sell the Argies one of our older subs? If it was a nuclear one we could then hack into it when it's tied up and cause a melt down making it look like they still can't get their maintainance sh1t together.

See, here's how not to loose a submarine, or any maritime vessel, they obviously had forgotten the lesson.

Argentine Naval tactics 101.

Boats... Very important that they float all the time.
Submarines.... Very important that they can float all of the time.

Since this old picture, she has been re-floated (Was plagarised for spares to keep the other Type 42 (Hercules) going, since re-rolled). Plans are to turn her into a floating museum "Celebrating" the Malvinas war, will probably have a lot of redundant room doing nothing then.

I'm actually quite proud of this little post, I've finally found a little sadness in my heart for the Argentinians for the first time since 82. The French... still Nil.

Type-42.jpg

Last edited:
Who is this official, "Marcos Penas"?

BTW @Resasi you should know we dont kill spies, even those with 40 odd innocent souls helping them in peacetime, IIRC even in wartime the Belgrano was on the limit of acceptability.

Worst case, we pinged it and they ran like mad to davy jones locker.

Sounds like more of a face saving exercise, oh the lose of the boat was for a worthy cause we sent them on a spying mission.

Better than the truth that the crew were sent out in a piss poor maintained boat belonging to an under funded Navy by a country that seems to have little regard for its armed forces.

Argentine Naval tactics 101.

Boats... Very important that they float all the time.
Submarines.... Very important that they can float most of the time.
To be fair, submarines should float too. It’s just that they are designed to float at a set depth when under control. Buoyancy does not start and end at the waterline!

Have amended to "Very important that they can float all of the time", and amended my lovely pic of a Type 21 frigate (Well, it's half a type 42 showing).

BTW @Resasi you should know we dont kill spies, even those with 40 odd innocent souls helping them in peacetime, IIRC even in wartime the Belgrano was on the limit of acceptability.

Worst case, we pinged it and they ran like mad to davy jones locker.
What are you talking about???

My comment was, if the submariner’s families knew the mission was a spy mission, then it was logical that they might believe that it had been sunk by the RN.

It was not a suggestion that this had taken place!

To be fair, submarines should float too. It’s just that they are designed to float at a set depth when under control. Buoyancy does not start and end at the waterline!
Wood floats naturally

Sometimes negative buoyancy = It floats under the Surface

So if a wooden boat sinks does that mean it could end up sailing forever on the ocean currents 2000ft down

I think it was obvious what they were up to when at least one family reported a whatsapp message received during the deployment. It could only have come through the FI cell network.

Wood floats naturally

Sometimes negative buoyancy = It floats under the Surface

So if a wooden boat sinks does that mean it could end up sailing forever on the ocean currents 2000ft down
You have watched ‘Pirates of The Caribbean’, haven’t you? ;-)

Ok.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Uncontrolled floating~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

-----------------------------------------------------Controlled boyancy--------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------Uncontrolled sinking--------------------------------------------------

That's my Army view about boats, my Army view about Helicopters flying is very binary.

Last edited:
You want a conspiracy theory? OK.
The boat was said to have SF personnel on board. Did they land, wander about for a day or so and return? Or did they land and relieve SF personnel who were already there? If the latter, there could be some very hungry soldiers waiting for a pick up.
They could always send another sub to pick them up...............................................................oh. Wait........

@Mr Happy . OK it might be dumb but more than one of us on here have speculated that the sub might have done something clandestine if only sailing close to the FI.
In fact I would be surprised if over the years since the war nothing like close visits have ever happened, that's what submarines are for.
Ours have done similar things.

I think it was obvious what they were up to when at least one family reported a whatsapp message received during the deployment. It could only have come through the FI cell network.
That's not the only way it could have got through. WhatsApp uses an internet connection which may be via a mobile phone network, or may be through any other connection to the internet, via Inmarsat for example.

Next submarine you send to sea, crew it with Malayans.... people really spend a lot of time and money trying to find lost Malayans.

Last edited:
Although the Argentines have admitted sending the submarine to the Falklands, it was probably more a training/perisher type mission than a real effort to gain serious military intelligence. After all what could they use information gained for, given the weakness of all three of their services.

If they wanted some Islands, Chile has thousands and you don't need a deep water Navy...... which seems the way it's going anyway.
And we have spent a millenium looking across 22 miles as an island and defending ourselves, 400 miles is a mini ocean.

And we did it all for.... bennys.

Last edited: