Argentine Pilots in the RAF - WW2

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by DownSouth, Aug 15, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. See Here

A friend of mine worked as the illustrator for the book. Told me that they had a great rapport from the British Embassy over here.

Argie pilots were (mostly) from English and Scottish families settled in Argentina. After the war, no pensions, just a quick handshake and off they went. Most of them went back to Argentine, with a few going to Canada or other parts of the Commonwealth.

Hope you like it

Cheers

2. An interesting site DS , thank you.

But I can't see any reference to "The fellowship of the Bellows" who I believe financed individuals to travel to the UK to fight, as well as funding aircraft and in fact RAF Squadrons?

3. Never heard of that

I thik that British expats over here funded a couple of aircraft

but never heard of such a fellowship

if you give me more data, I can probably contact the authors

Cheers

4. [Spotter] The Fellowship of the Bellows funding went to number 263 Squadron.IIRC, there were at least two of its Westland Whirlwinds funded this way; these were named 'Bellows Number 1' and 'Bellows Number 2'.

Before the RAF did away with named squadrons, 263 bore the title '263 (Fellowship of the Bellows) Squadron, RAF. 193 Squadron was another Fellowship of the Bellows squadron, but that was associated with Brazil rather than Argentina. [/Spotter].

5. Thank you for this most interesting web site.
    I passed on the ref to my friend Major Roy Hudson late RE. Roy was born and brought up in Argentina comming over to Britain in early 30's and serving in HM forces from 'Munich' to late 50's.
    Roy knew four of the names he found and infact went to school in Argentina with two of them.
    Thanks for bringing back a few memories for this Old Soldier he was most apriciative.
    john

6. I recall reading in Hugh Bicheno's Razor's Edge: The Unofficial History of the Falklands War, that one of the Argentinian conscripts captured by British forces during the fighting was the son of an RAF veteran who had emigrated to Argentina after the Second World War.