Argentine navy a bit short of cash

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by brighton hippy, Nov 23, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Best keep this quiet from HM Govt, they find out that the Argies have no chance of going back then they'll cut the garrison etc thus saving more loot to give to a cash strapped European Soviet Union. Another thread running on that subject already though.

2. Its all gone downhill for them since invading the Falklands. Just imagine what state they would be in now had it not been for that. Still, someone has to pay El Presidente's cosmetics bill!

• Like Like x 1
  3. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

4. Corned beef isn't getting any cheaper.

5. How to confuse your elderly grandmother.

Present her with a sandwich of chopped sirloin and fried onions for lunch when she's visiting, when she gives off stink about you "wasting money" on fancy food for her and how she'd have been happy with corned beef from a tin, point out that a sirloin large enough to produce three such sandwiches from the supermarket is cheaper than a can of corned beef.... Watch the perplexed look.

6. But but Hugo Chaves in Venezuela is going to give them all his kit to use to re/take the Islands....I read it in a book.

7. Virtually the only set of circumstances in which I can realistically see us being offered the services of a US CBG and MEU to 'help' with any bother in the South Atlantic.

8. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Hilarious! Nice to read some happy news for a change.

I particularly like the bit where the left hand of the Arg Govt (Customs) impounds kit for the right hand (Navy).

As for corned dog, be careful only to buy Brazilian.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Tbf that would be the only time we'd need any help otherwise we'd be at the UN for excessive cruelty to retards.

10. The threat obviously isn't Argentina for the next few years.

If there would be a threat it'd be cabal of allies in South America. They would offer troops and logistics to Argentine troops to retake the Islands in return for exclusive Oil drilling rights. Venezual openly supports this. Brazil has some pretty good kit. I doubt however, Brazil would ever want to with it's present economic miracle and pre-Olympic build-up; then again bubbles pop and Olympics pass...

11. Brazil hey? Would I be a bit premature if I broke out my bikini and my old "Teach Yourself Portugese" book?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ah yes, Army 2020. We'll then be ready to mobilise our strategic Reserve Forces and send the TA to recover the Malvinas.

• Like Like x 1
  13. I really doubt Brazil would get involved, or any other South American country to be honest, because they all HATE Argentina with a vengeance. Besides, they know that if they did help them invade the Falklands, all promises of sharing the spoils would be off once Argentina got their way. Argentina has always been like that.

The only country that might help them is Venezula. But their navy would have a long way to sail in sub infested waters. The Venezulan military might be slightly better off than Argentina's, but not by much. They know that one sub and a T45 would be able to sink their entire navy.

Brazil and Chile hate Argentina and have good trade arrangements with the UK, plus they are both (especially Brazil) trying to become a major player on the world stage. Uruguay also hate Argentina, and their navy is too small, Peru, Ecuador, Columbia too far away to care, plus they all hate Argentina. Bolivia landlocked. Paraguay hates Argentina and is landlocked. I could go on, but you get the picture.

South America talks unity, but none of them trust each other an inch, and they wouldn't trust Argentina that far.