Argentine Air Power

Carbon fibre props? Sun wrecks them and any small dings can cause delamination.

I've tweaked the thread title to make it a little broader and to allow me to highlight that Argentina has commenced a programme to re-role it's Pucaras from COIN/light-strike to ISR. This is being achieved via a Fenix upgrade which has seen a single aircraft re-engined and an EO/IR ball with downlink added.

The FAA are hoping that a further 2 Pucaras will be upgraded to Fenix standard to allow its use in border surveillance.

Regards,
MM
Will cause panic and sleepless nights at HQ Air Command RAF High Wycombe?

Are they covers on the prop blades?? if so, might I enquire why???
Yes, they're covers which protect the blades from weathering and knocks. Here's a pic of the same Fenix (on the left) without them alongside an older Pucara with the original Astazou engine and 3-bladed prop.

Regards,
MM

Very interesting article in Flypast or Aeroplane monthly recently by Dave Morgan about testing the captured article at Boscombe Down, both in it and as an attacker in a Harrier. He said that the radar of the Harrier picked up the propellors of the Pucara from miles away. With today's missiles and radar, a Pucara would be killed by a fighter or a ship or a ground SAM launcher from miles away, long before it got near enough to have any effect.

Very interesting article in Flypast or Aeroplane monthly recently by Dave Morgan about testing the captured article at Boscombe Down, both in it and as an attacker in a Harrier. He said that the radar of the Harrier picked up the propellors of the Pucara from miles away. With today's missiles and radar, a Pucara would be killed by a fighter or a ship or a ground SAM launcher from miles away, long before it got near enough to have any effect.
I am always skeptical about claims like that - I am sure they claimed that the rapiers, blowpipes, seacats etc would be much more effective than they were in reality.

I am always skeptical about claims like that - I am sure they claimed that the rapiers, blowpipes, seacats etc would be much more effective than they were in reality.
VERY simplistically, aircraft survival in a contested environment depends on having 2 of the following: good kinematic performance, good EW and/or Low Observability (LO).

A Pucara has non of the above and was vulnerable to Air Defence systems even in 1982, suffering losses to Sea Harrier and an early model Stinger. More broadly, props and rotor blades inevitably increase the RCS of aircraft, particularly in regards Pulse-Doppler.

Similarly, the much vaunted A-10 soon discovered it was unable to conduct CAS in DESERT STORM where Iraqi SAMs and radar-guided AAA were present. As a result, it's often forgotten that the F-111 was the most successful tank and AFV killer of that conflict, despite being present in smaller numbers than the 'dedicated' CAS orientated A-10!

Likewise, in the Balkans, GW2 and more recently in SHADER, A-10s have been increasingly restricted in where they could operate.

Regards,
MM

VERY simplistically, aircraft survival in a contested environment depends on having 2 of the following: good kinematic performance, good EW and/or Low Observability (LO).

A Pucara has non of the above and was vulnerable to Air Defence systems even in 1982, suffering losses to Sea Harrier and an early model Stinger. More broadly, props and rotor blades inevitably increase the RCS of aircraft, particularly in regards Pulse-Doppler.

Similarly, the much vaunted A-10 soon discovered it was unable to conduct CAS in DESERT STORM where Iraqi SAMs and radar-guided AAA were present. As a result, it's often forgotten that the F-111 was the most successful tank and AFV killer of that conflict, despite being present in smaller numbers than the 'dedicated' CAS orientated A-10!

Likewise, in the Balkans, GW2 and more recently in SHADER, A-10s have been increasingly restricted in where they could operate.

Regards,
MM
Let's not forget Pucaras were designed in the late 1960's for a COIN role in Northern Argentina against Cuban inspired guerrillas who didn't have any sophisticated weapons .
It's a wonder they were as succesful as they were in '82.
Interestingly , their navy used F4U Corsairs 'till 1966 .
If they'd held on to those , they might have been of greater use in the jungles of Tucuman ., though I wonder how they would have fared in '82 if deployed to Stanley airport ?
1570781773887.png

It's a wonder they were as succesful as they were in '82.
I'm not sure their participation in the Falklands War could be described as successful!

They had a very minor role and most ended up as airfield decoys thanks to the combined attention of the SAS/SBS, FAA and RAF!

Regards,
MM

Seems a sensible buy to me - their EEZ isn't exactly small and a bit more SAR** capability in that part of the world wouldn't go amiss

**Okay not so much the R bit
Some may think that, some may not.

Argentina's external debt equivalent to US$6,310 per person

In farm-rich Argentina, hunger cries ring in leaders' ears amid crisis

What Will It Take to Rescue Argentina's Economy?

Argentina’s economic crisis has reached a tipping point with all indications that the reforms begun by President Mauricio Macri are failing, kicking the can down the road to a new government that will be formed after a general election set for October 27. Macri’s bid for a second presidential term was imperiled in primaries on August 11, when he ended up 16 points behind the ticket of left-wing Opposition leader Alberto Fernandez with Cristina Kirchner as his running mate for vice president.
My bold.

Yokel

LE
Does Argentina have any proper fighters these days? Why was the acquisition of ex French Navy Super Eterndard Modernise hailed as a major thing and to do with defending airspace for an international meeting?

As for the Pucara, they did manage to shoot down several a couple of RM Scout helicopters in 1982. I do not think they were used for any anti ship attacks (although at one point the Junta claimed one had damaged HMS Hermes) and an attack against the Paras at Goose Green was tried but the pilot was put off his attack run when a MILAN was fired at him and he thought it was a SAM.

Does Argentina have any proper fighters these days? Why was the acquisition of ex French Navy Super Eterndard Modernise hailed as a major thing and to do with defending airspace for an international meeting?...
Argentina has no 'proper' fighters these days. Therefore, the only real fast jets they have are the Navy's SuEs (which can carry IR AAMs) so the acquisition of a handful of SEMs was probably a major boost to their limited capacity.

...As for the Pucara, they did manage to shoot down several a couple of RM Scout helicopters in 1982. I do not think they were used for any anti ship attacks (although at one point the Junta claimed one had damaged HMS Hermes) and an attack against the Paras at Goose Green was tried but the pilot was put off his attack run when a MILAN was fired at him and he thought it was a SAM.
The single air-air kill of a RM Scout was arguably the only notable thing the Pucara managed in the Falklands. Ironically, the pilot who killed the Scout crashed into a mountain while returning home!

Regards,
MM

Latest Threads