Argentine Air Power

Le_addeur_noir

On ROPS
On ROPs
Fair enough, thank you for your thoughtful reply, I'm still not convinced anyone is remotely interested in invading Indonesia but something needs to keep the defense procurement guys in Jakarta busy I suppose, those Maitre du Temps watches don't buy themselves you know.

I will now google the Peru Ecuador war to educate myself a bit better.

All the best.
China is a possibility. Those 9 lines come close to Indonesia at their southern extremity.

Le_addeur_noir

On ROPS
On ROPs
I had a Aussie Tankie as a neighbour when I lived in Brisbane. According to him during the 80s/90s they were more concerned with Indonesian aggression than the Chinese.
I was out in Aussie for a few months in 1989, and they were fairly paranoid about Indonesia and India.

I was out in Aussie for a few months in 1989, and they were fairly paranoid about Indonesia and India.
India?? Why? The first time I heard about it...Indonesia, I sort of understand..from my view point, all India cares about is not being attacked by PAK or CHN..

India must admit not heard that one before. But Indonesia since it was formed and up until recently would swallow up every island nation it could. The Aussies were worried for a good reason. The reason they got Subs, certainly weren't for defence.

Interesting, you really wonder why mid-level states like Argentina, heck most of Latin America, Africa and Asia for that matter really need fighter jets.

Who are they war gaming against (let's assume the Falklands are out of the equation)?

One sees the same thing in SE Asia as countries like Indonesia buy submarines, seriously? The only people you are likely to fight with submarines or jet fighters have much bigger, faster, more advanced and better armed toys in their box than you will ever have, and a hell of a lot more of them, so why bother?

Are these vanity projects or are there serious situations envisaged in which they would ever be used?
They’re not really vanity projects. Argentina has long running border disputes with its neighbours. It needs to police its own airspace etc etc etc.

They can’t do the SNP defence strategy of ‘it’ll cost too much so we’ll ask the Americans to station forces here instead because we can’t be bothered.’

India must admit not heard that one before. But Indonesia since it was formed and up until recently would swallow up every island nation it could. The Aussies were worried for a good reason. The reason they got Subs, certainly weren't for defence.
Funny that Bali is now one of the most popular tourist destinations for the Aussies...that place is basically overrun by Aussies..

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
Hopefully not.

I assume these jets will be used for AD, Air Policing and light strike.

They have the IA-63 Pampa for basic and advanced training.

I doubt it very much; the FAA have not had WSOs since Canberra days so I suspect they'll just be flying it single seat most of the time. The USMC do similar with their FA-18Ds (and even FA-18Fs sometime).

That's because Lockheed Martin were involved in it's development!

Regards,
MM
We have a contender for ugliest plane. It's like a Hawk had unnatural relations with a Harrier.

Hopefully not.

I assume these jets will be used for AD, Air Policing and light strike.

They have the IA-63 Pampa for basic and advanced training.

I doubt it very much; the FAA have not had WSOs since Canberra days so I suspect they'll just be flying it single seat most of the time. The USMC do similar with their FA-18Ds (and even FA-18Fs sometime).

That's because Lockheed Martin were involved in it's development!

Regards,
MM
I have been confusing the IA-63 Pampa,

"The IA-63 Pampa is an advanced jet trainer with combat capability, produced in Argentina by Fabrica Militar de Aviones with assistance from Dornier of Germany".

with the Dassault/Dornier Alpha Jet !!

1565951435165.png

. . . :( .

Funny that Bali is now one of the most popular tourist destinations for the Aussies...that place is basically overrun by Aussies..
Bitch all you like about the 'strayans. Bali's much cheaper than Aus and at least they make sure decent steak and cold beer are available. :)

"Not bitching. Just saying it's ironic...it's like the Mexico of OZ.."

Apologies for the thread drift but, what the ****?

"Not bitching. Just saying it's ironic...it's like the Mexico of OZ.."

Apologies for the thread drift but, what the ****?
It's like "protecting" against all those invaders from MX, while partying for spring breaks etc in all those tourist resorts....that's the analogy, if you get it.

It's like "protecting" against all those invaders from MX, while partying for spring breaks etc in all those tourist resorts....that's the analogy, if you get it.
No, just no, you odd person. Go away.

Latest Threads