Argentine Air Power

After an on-off procurement process complicated by UK ITAR and simple lack of cash, it appears that Argentina is finally about to order ten KAI FA-50 light fighters. That follows varying levels of interest being shown over recent years in other types such as the Kfir 2000, Gripen (effectively blocked by the UK) and Chinese JF-17 Thunder.

The South Korean fighter appears to be a very nice light-fighter which has now entered service with several nations looking for a low-cost combat aircraft. It's capable of carrying a variety of Western and Israeli A-G and A-A weapons including Sidewinder and AMRAAM.

Regards,
MM

I was going to ask, why does it have/need to be a twin-seat aircraft design . . . particularly as the pilot in your photo, seems quite capable of flying it on his own!

Seems largely similar in capabilities to an updated F-5.

I was going to ask, why does it have/need to be a twin-seat aircraft design . . . particularly as the pilot in your photo, seems quite capable of flying it on his own!
It's origins are as a fighter Lead-in trainer along the lines of a T-38 or supersonic Hawk.

Regards,
MM

I don't imagine that the Typhoon would have to much trouble with this thing. Or am I missing something?

It's origins are as a fighter Lead-in trainer along the lines of a T-38 or supersonic Hawk.

Regards,
MM
do they need to buy a trainer as well in that case, or do they just up the order slightly on the basis that some are going to be running around with 2 people in doing the fj stream of pilot training while others will be front line?

AFAIK there isn't a single seat version at the present time.
Possibly a Radar Op / WSO in back?

Are they buying them on HP?
They are a bit flush at the mo.

I know.

Argentina has received the biggest loan package ever from the International Monetary Fund, aimed at shoring up the country’s ailing finances: a whopping $57.1bn that will be disbursed over the next three years.

“This is the biggest loan in the history of the IMF,” said the fund’s director, Christine Lagarde, on Wednesday as the final loan agreement was announced in New York.
Nice lady.

If I were the Koreans, I'd be wanting the dosh up front. Alternatively that's HOW MANY tonnes of corned beef to pay for them?!

I don't imagine that the Typhoon would have to much trouble with this thing. Or am I missing something?
Hopefully not.

do they need to buy a trainer as well in that case, or do they just up the order slightly on the basis that some are going to be running around with 2 people in doing the fj stream of pilot training while others will be front line?
I assume these jets will be used for AD, Air Policing and light strike.

They have the IA-63 Pampa for basic and advanced training.

AFAIK there isn't a single seat version at the present time.
Possibly a Radar Op / WSO in back?
I doubt it very much; the FAA have not had WSOs since Canberra days so I suspect they'll just be flying it single seat most of the time. The USMC do similar with their FA-18Ds (and even FA-18Fs sometime).

Looks like a truncated F16.
That's because Lockheed Martin were involved in it's development!

Regards,
MM

Le_addeur_noir

On ROPS
On ROPs
Seems largely similar in capabilities to an updated F-5.
I always thought this airplane owed a lot to the F-16. It looks like one from the front.

Lockheed were involved in it's development.

I do hope Argentina isn't getting silly. The Typhoon is the best fighter aircraft in the world, and the R.A.F. are the best pilots in the world. Daygo egg/face may occur.

To be fair when i was down there last year there is not too much general worry of anyone flying across from Rio Gallegos anytime soon!

(...) I assume these jets will be used for AD, Air Policing and light strike. (...)
Some previous reports on the Argentine effort to acquire new planes said that their defence priority involved their northern frontier region, with a particular focus on air support for potential counter-insurgency operations. They do have Pucaras which are intended for this role, but they also want something faster and more sophisticated as well to try to cover the big empty spaces of their frontier districts. So far as I understand their biggest concern is to have the potential to deal with another break down in internal stability rather than operations against neighbouring states.

They've been trying to buy new planes since the Falklands War, without luck due to lack of money. I will believe that they are getting new planes from South Korea when I see them actually arrive.

Latest Threads