Argentina Selects FA-50 Fighter

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Leonardo aren't offering the Argentines the Typhoon. They are trying to sell them the M-346FA, which is similar to the KA-50. It's a trainer that has been upgraded to a "light fighter". Italy, Israel, Poland, and Singapore use them as advanced trainers.

In your rush you completely missed this

additional part of its interim-fighter bid, Leonardo sees the M-346FA serving as a potential stepping-stone to the Eurofighter Typhoon
That's the part that doesn't make sense, there's no way that the UK would allow Argentina to take that follow on step, even if Argentina could afford Typhoon.

In your rush you completely missed this

That's the part that doesn't make sense, there's no way that the UK would allow Argentina to take that follow on step, even if Argentina could afford Typhoon.
Without seeing the exact words that the Leonardo rep used I would be hesitant to conclude that this involved anything more than the Jane's journalist extrapolating standard marketing waffle about all the things that Leonardo the company is involved in into a potential follow-on offer of Typhoons.

At the moment all we know for sure is that Leonardo are offering their M-346FA to meet the Argentine requirement. They are not offering them Typhoons at this time. We've seen nothing to suggest that Argentina are in the market for a follow-on order.

One potential problem that Leonardo may face with the M-346FA is with any UK supplied kit that it currently contains that may have to be either approved by the UK or designed out. One example is "Two Martin Baker Mk.IT16D “zero-zero” ejection seats", but there may be more.
https://www.leonardocompany.com/documents/20142/3159729/M-346FA_brochure.pdf?t=1543587430576

I would not be surprised if the UK were to approve their stuff being used in planes being sold to Argentina by the way. Something like an M-346FA is not a serious threat to the defence of the Falkland Islands given current UK capabilities and it is better to see UK kit being standard equipment in lots of planes than it is to have suppliers offering alternatives, giving the UK no leverage in cases where leverage is seriously needed.

ex_sigs

Old-Salt
No, there’s very little Argentinian interest currently in doing anything daft like that.
Friend of mine who is a pilot in RAF recently told me the general consensus is that due to lack of funding, training, equipment and flying hours that we are no longer the cream and he ranks US ahead of us. Sad to say but I think the years of neglect mean we are living of our past glory and reality is some what different.

Friend of mine who is a pilot in RAF recently told me the general consensus is that due to lack of funding, training, equipment and flying hours that we are no longer the cream and he ranks US ahead of us. Sad to say but I think the years of neglect mean we are living of our past glory and reality is some what different.
It's difficult to compare the US directly with anyone as they operate on a different scale; but they have also seen their own capabilities eroded.

However, I would tend to agree that UK Combat Air and Maritime capabilities are now slipping below those of a great many nations, notably Australia and possibly even France. Equally, that's a huge generalisation and we enjoy some key discriminators over other nations in certain areas.

Regards,
MM

Last edited:
It's difficult to compare the US directly with anyone as they operate on a different scale; they have also seen their own capabilities eroded.

However, I would tend to agree that UK Combat Air and Maritime capabilities are now slipping below those of a great many nations, notably Australia and possibly even France. Equally, that's a huge generalisation and we enjoy some key discriminators over other nations in certain areas.

Regards,
MM
This for instance?

Interesting, you really wonder why mid-level states like Argentina, heck most of Latin America, Africa and Asia for that matter really need fighter jets.

Who are they war gaming against (let's assume the Falklands are out of the equation)?

One sees the same thing in SE Asia as countries like Indonesia buy submarines, seriously? The only people you are likely to fight with submarines or jet fighters have much bigger, faster, more advanced and better armed toys in their box than you will ever have, and a hell of a lot more of them, so why bother?

Are these vanity projects or are there serious situations envisaged in which they would ever be used?
In the case of Indonesia, it enables sabre rattling for what they see as 'rogue states'. PNG or Aceh. :)

I resemble that remark - although it was a (brand spanking new - delivery mileage only) 747 I broke.

Digestives and hobnobs were conspicuous only by their absence at the subsequent chat.
#emotional

In the case of Indonesia, it enables sabre rattling for what they see as 'rogue states'. PNG or Aceh. :)
I had a Aussie Tankie as a neighbour when I lived in Brisbane. According to him during the 80s/90s they were more concerned with Indonesian aggression than the Chinese.

Latest Threads