Argentina manages to really piss somebody off....and this time it's not even us!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Bingobongo, Apr 17, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Looks like the grasping, sanctimonious, victim playing shit bags are at it again (no not Liverpudlians).

This has been ongoing for a while but KFC has finally now deemed it acceptable to try and pass a bill that will entitle her to expropriate 51% of Repsol's shares in YPF thus making the Argentinian state the main shareholder. Such a surprise to see her taking an aggressive stance over something that doesn't actually belong to them. Seems like a running theme with her.

Got to admire it really. Let someone invest in your oil industry when it suits you and then when you need to rally public opinion and stir up some oil revenue just decide you want it all back and tell them to **** off.

BBC News - Argentina to expropriate Repsol oil subsidiary YPF

The Spaniards have promised to take "clear and forceful" measures in the face of this. Seeing as the Spanish are one of the most half-arsed races of people on the planet I'd love to see what a military response from them would consist of but, on the bright side, at least this is another nail in the coffin for her chances of ever getting the international community to back any Argentinian attempt on the Falklands. Can't see this move getting too much support from anyone other than her South American cronies. If there's one thing the oil obsessed Western World that we live in doesn't like it's people trying to take oil away from us or telling us that it now belongs to them.

She does not do herself any favours...

Anyway, here's hoping that eventually between this and the Falklands she'll cause so much agro that eventually some sort of EU coalition will be formed to go down there and mallet the scrounging little bint and her entire joke of a country into the ****ing dark ages.

I really could not hope for as many bad things to happen to a country as I do to Argentina...
    • Like Like x 3
  2. You are joking. The European muddle couldn't agree to a piss up let alone taking concerted military action against the likes of a third world dictatorship.
    • Like Like x 4
  3. I can't see outside investers (in any industry) being keen to go to this country inthe future... she's essentially signing her countries financial death warrant if this goes through.

They've actually re-nationalised a number of industries already, this one involves an international dimension. It follows the pattern. Privatise industry, accuse it of incompetance or similar, get citizens on side, re-nationalise. They did it to their natioal airline too. It was accused of putting profits before flying to remote/barely populated parts of Argentina... as a private firm would do.

Admittedly the airline fracas is a convuluted mess of claims oand counter claims of corruption, incompetance and under hand dealings...

The p1sser is, only last year, Argentian government (who own the line) was looking for private investors to breath cash in to the bankrupt airline!!!
  4. Negligent-Discharge

Negligent-Discharge LE Book Reviewer

I've always felt that the Argie Press was either lent on or too pro Govt. for me. However, Breaking News -, hits the spot and if you have a flick of other Argie front pages you'll see KFC's time is coming.
  5. Argentina is broke, the Government had been fiddling the figures, they've been stealing pensions and other shenanigans, and now they are ooutright pinching money to keep the circus afloat.
  6. Negligent-Discharge

Just substitute the word Argentina for most other Western countries. It works, believe me.
  7. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Give them 3 months and half a dozen meetings and they may send her a letter in a harsh font......
  8. She seems to have the backing of Hugo Chavez !!!! (No laughing in the ranks now ) !!
  9. Peak oil is a reality this is a dash for resources!!
    The next big oil shock is due in the next few years, probably when some smaller (oil producing/exporting) nation states recognise supply is failing to keep up with demand and nationalise (as Argentina as done here) resources for internal consumption.
    Check out the video by a chap called Chris Martenson in the Financial Apocalypse thread over in economics, he predicted this is how it would start out.
  10. IMF, here I come, yet again. All has been said, raiding pensions, putting the central bank under gov control, nationalisation of companies, next stop: bankruptcy, good luck with that. Communist 'brotherly' friendship will only ever get you so far, I doubt that Chavez, Moralez & co. are going to financially support the arrogant, obnoxious Argentinians. *****.

Sent from my iPhone using ARRSE app
  11. Negligent-Discharge

Chavez, apparently, hasn't got long before he meets the good Lord. Who's going to replace him? Pro-US or Pro-Leftie?
  12. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Of course the fact that Argies are a net importer of fuel is down to the imperialist Spanish not KFC's disastrous energy policy which pegs fuel prices at silly low rates. Populist policy in pursuit of cheap and short term political goals? Never let it be said.

I'd pay good money to see one of Spains new toys pop up in the river Plate with a cheery "Hola mi poco nacionalizar amigos."

• Like Like x 4
  13. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

The interesting bit in that BBC article is that Argentina has the 3rd highest recoverable shale oil fields in the world. we've seen this before - incompetent and corrupt dictatorship, vast petrodollar accounts being used to boost and maintain a massive army and a meglomaniac leader obsessed with ownership of a neighbouring territory. It didn't work out very well for Kuwait, Iraq or us.
  14. KFC remaining in charge for a little while longer should see to that. She's the new Chavez.
  15. Up until now , all my many spanish friends wholeheartedly supported Argentina's claim to the Falklands . Suddenly , they are not so sure any more......

I am particularly enjoying the comments sections at the bottom of the various Mercopress articles detailing Argentina's current demise
    The paid bloggers of CFK's youth movement are seriously on the back foot now , and their bizarre arguments translated into English by Google are absolutely priceless .
    Mercopress is based in Uruguay , so the articles themselves tend to have a "tut tut , told you so " tone about them anyway , which is added comedy value.
    For those of you that haven't seen it yet , log on .