Aren't our police wonderful ?

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Originally meant to stick this in here, but was over in the gong forum, still here's a copy.

Much has been made of an ex-Maj embellishing a report so he could throw some tin up, but it's been happening for years in the Colonies and parts foreign.
Idi Amin was probably the most famous, with his coreligionist oppo Mummar Gaddafi in there as a close second.

However, now that the tables have been turned in South Africa and people can only get employment and promotion by personal merit, we have leaders that people can look up to, leaders like the National Police Commissioner General Mangwashi Victoria "Riah" Phiyega.

Here's a snap of her:

If you're not up to speed on SAPS medals here's a run down:

SA Police Service Gold Medal for Outstanding Service (SOEG)
With crime rates on the rise, Marikana, police brutality, mall robberies escalating out of control, thousands of convicted criminals actually serving in the SAPS and many other issues still outstanding, one can clearly see how the commissioner's 'excellent service' has affected the SAPS. With wise decisions such as this one, it is a mystery why President (Jacob) Zuma had Mthethwa demoted to the arts and culture portfolio.

SA Police Service Ten Year Commemoration Medal (2005)

Commissioner Phiyega has been congratulated for the amazing feat of earning this medal in just two years of service - which started seven years after the qualifying period ended. According to Police Ministry spokesman Musa Zondi, it was given to her because of her rank as a general and she needed it as she was to award these medals to others.

SA Police Service Amalgamation Medal (1995)
Awarded to the officers in the 11 police agencies that were amalgamated into one in 1994, again it is extremely well done given that this event preceded her time at the SAPS by 18 years.
(Reverse, new coat of arms not yet designed.)

Soccer World Cup 2010 Support Award
Awarded to Police Officers who took part in the operations supporting the games, and arguably the Commissioner's greatest achivement. It shows her incredible efficiency in that that she was able to earn this award when one takes into account that the high profile event took place a full two years before the commissioner even joined the police.

Unfortunately the SAPS is still behind the British Police Services as they've not yet replaced the tunic with a nice modern fleece upon which to wear their hard-earned gongs.

The best thing about the original thread being in the Medals forum is it set off PapaGolf - hy kerm as 'n isifebe.
Why isn't this in the South Africa or the "No one gives a f u ck" forum?

Last edited:

ACAB

LE
I thought you'd already done this?

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
I had, but it incurred the wrath of the BAOR Scalieback mentioned above, and never being one to rock the boat I stuck a similar one in here.

Last edited:
Black bint blags bling?

So she got 5 medals for doing nothing?
In my country the President got the Nobel Prize for doing nothing!
And he was nominated 12 days before he even took office.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Medal medal medal

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
So he got that the same way as General Phiyega got her gongs ?

Though it was only four, the pics above show a reverse too.
(Have to explain everything to these damn colonials.)

So he got that the same way as General Phiyega got her gongs ?

Though it was only four, the pics above show a reverse too.
(Have to explain everything to these damn colonials.)
Reminds one of a certain Irish "baron" doesn't it.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
It obviously helps you use up your extra commas.

Here we have a fine example of officially sanctioned (or possibly even ordered) walting.
Perhaps somewhat more blatant than seen elsewhere but not in any way unique.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and it affects my life in exactly what way?
You are now better informed, although non the wiser.

That @eodmatt is a superb put-down line. Do you own copyright?
Regrettably not. The quote comes from lawyer Frederick Edwin Smith, 1st Earl of Birkenhead GCSI, PC, KC, (12 July 1872 – 30 September 1930), as part of a courtroom exchange with the judge, during Smiths long and technical explanation of some case matters;

Judge: I've listened to you for an hour and I'm none the wiser.
Smith: None the wiser, perhaps, my lord but certainly better informed.

Edited to add: On another occasion, Smith had got under the skin of a judge;

Judge: You are extremely offensive, young man!
Smith: As a matter of fact we both are; and the only difference between us is that I am trying to be, and you can't help it.

Last edited:
Look on the bright side:- At least the original idea of wearing your gongs on a thick gold chain round your neck or embedded in your lower lip and earlobes, hasn't caught on.

http://www.dailymaverick.co.za/article/2014-11-14-parliament-diary-scenes-of-shame/#.VGivkTSUeSp

Thursday 13th November will surely go down as one of the most inglorious days in the history of South Africa’s democratic parliament. After almost seven hours of ultimately futile filibustering from opposition parties, the National Assembly adopted the report which essentially exonerates President Jacob Zuma from wrongdoing over Nkandla. If that weren’t enough, the evening descended into chaos when riot police were called into the House and proceeded to assault MPs. By REBECCA DAVIS.
http://www.citypress.co.za/politics/parliament-switched-cameras/

Last edited:
A truly amazing bloke. Pity he can't run for a third term.

Must disable that facetious mode.

Latest Threads