Aree www.forces-war-records.co.uk ns poor as their promotional material?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Pteranadon, Jul 29, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I received an unsolicited email from this bunch saying...

Its this typical of the quality of their research?

2. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

I'd not heard of them before But I've had a quick look.
    They appear to have collated publicly held records.
    Bit of a surprise they have linked to Forces Reunited and I found myself there. Maybe time for a deletion there.
    They have no record of my grandfather, although I have his WW1 medal card, but they do have his brother but that will have been gleaned from CWGC. I suspect their WW2 records are only CWGC.

3. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

You should be able to get at most of this stuff for nothing via one of your local public libraries if the owning local authority subscribes to Ancestry Library Edition.

However nok can get copies of papers, med records etc from the vets agency for a fee (and a fairly long wait).

4. Sounds like Baldrick's explanation of how WWI started!

And I was sure that Yugoslavia didn't come in to existance until the end of the great war.

5. Gee, Theo, thanks for that-and how are things at Military Records, Military War Articles & Forces History Data - Forces War Records

A couple of points: Ancestry, Find My Past (not that good, IMHO) and National Archives are about the best bets for family research, especially with those ancestors who have a Military background. WW1 records (MICs, Pension papers and Records of Service, etc) do not exist for every serviceman/woman: many were destroyed during a Blitz raid. Unless you are a direct relative or you can prove the death of your subject is greater than 25 years, WW2 records are NOT available-the 116 year rule applies.

The caveat to that is PW debriefings and these have to be applied for under an FOI request, through NA or MoD.

Again, for those ancestors with a Military background, The London Gazette and CWGC are good, free source starting points.

6. ..................and that'll be because the registrant for www.forces-war-records.co.uk is Forces Reunited.

7. Just parted with a month's subscription to find that for the two WW1 soldiers I am interested in, they have no more information than CWGC - which is free - or was hen I last looked.

8. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

I do love it when someone joins to give an unsolicited praise to a company in an old(ish) thread.
    Ho hum!

9. I had an E Mail from them and like another poster tried my Grandad from WW1 whose medals and War Badge I have and came back not trace. Also my Great Grandad who exists in Kew as I got his details and Pip, squeak and Wilfred. Also no trace.

10. The reason most ww1&ww2 records are not available is because the records they hold are moved across from forces reunited,and are the ones the members from that site provide.
    Forces reunited then transfer said info across and charge you to see the info that you had provided for free,(nice earner if you had thought of the scam).

11. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

The site is rubbish, doesn't list either my father or grandfathers service in WW2 and WW1. waste of money.

12. Does this actually contain anything not available from Ancestry???

13. No.

14. Mickey mouse website, do not give them any money

• Like Like x 1
  15. Second World War POW 'liberation questionnaires' and Escape and Evasion reports are openly available at the National Archives.

Many of the latter have been catalogued by name but the liberation questionnaires are arranged alphabetically and need a physical search through the relevant file.

Anybody need one give me a shout and I'll take a look for you.

(Korean War POW interrogation reports are closed until 2030's).

• Like Like x 1