Are you volunteering to quit the Army?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by vvaannmmaann, Jun 18, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. That's still only 1 in 110??? Not exactly a surge but maybe a vaild point about the seniority of those applying tho'.
  2. Something similar happened in the late 70's. Royal Signals lost a few good hands at SNCO level to the redundancy package that was on offer. People who knew they had a very good chance of making it in civdiv bailed out and these were normally higher quality candidates. Second stringers hung on in the military knowing their chances of promotion were now much improved.
  3. A2_Matelot

A2_Matelot LE Book Reviewer

There will be an even bigger rise (IMHO) when people realise that AFPS15 is about to hit. I for one don't think it's any coincidence that the Government are introducing it then, just as we should be leaving Afghanistan, a time when no doubt they would seek to further downsize the forces but will probably have no money so; hey presto pi** people off with a degraded pension plan......
  4. This is the tip of a very large iceberg - we have a lot of bright people and they can see when the time is right to jump. Over here (Paderborn/Sennelager)) I know of at least 60 (all ranks) who are in the bracket and aiming to apply.
  5. If you volunteer for redundancy but are not selected, could this affect your future promotion prospects in the Army? For example, would that information be made available to promotion boards, who might infer a lack of loyalty or commitment?
  6. That's the trouble with a voluntary scheme, top quality personnel can see the writing on the wall and will apply, the dross and biffs will hang on. Two or three years down the line it will be realised that the dross has risen to the top and is running the organisation.
  7. Don't swap pension plans over then... stay on AFPS75.
  8. From what we were briefed by the Air Member for Personnel's Briefing Team, there will be no offer to transfer to the new AFPS. It will be compulsory. Those already serving will keep what they have accrued at transfer then the rest of their service will be pensionable at the new rate.
  9. I'd imagine it will be very emotional, esp with later pension ages being bandied about (aren't CS moving to 66?), although there are some plus points in there too. The averaging of pay may actually help in some cases. Last 6 months as the next rank up will not affect pensions, but there has been some looking at how much is paid.
  10. I'm not volunteering.

I already did that a couple of years ago when I saw that the wall was being built and the cans of spray paint had been ordered.
  11. Im not volunteering to go....Im trying to extend my continuance...over the hill after 25 year service BOLLOXS Im in my prime. Why do I want to be a civvy yet??.

If they gave me 25 years on AFPS 75 then move me to AFPS 15 would be a problem....just let me stay in.
  12. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

A bit harsh.
    When it happened in the '90's for sure it was the guys with a bit about them that jumped first, but also quite a few "going nowhere" that knew it. Job security was probably the biggest driver for those that did not get tempted, fear of the great unknown civdiv. I could not blame a married Cpl/Sgt in his 30's with a couple of kids for not wanting to take the risk.
    Those who got out in the following year or 2 had the biggest problems, no cash left in the kitty IIRC.
  13. As at Friday, there are no plans to include the Services, Police or Fire service in the new system - 2015 is very close to election time so I suspect that another five years later all could change to include those mentioned above.
  14. Not really although this was the '70's when there was a bit more slack. I had jumped three months before at my 12 year point when things in the military were shite, my JNCO's at Catterick were claiming free school meals for their kids and had been away covering for striking firemen.(Bit of a bummer as the redundancy packages were very attractive and I missed out, such is life though.) Things looked bleak and not likely to get better anytime soon.
    However the Conservatives, with Maggie at the head, got back into government and surprisingly instigated huge pay rises for the services.

Can't speak for other organisations but it was too late to stop the damage that had been done to Royal Signals, especially on the technical side, a lot of high quality SNCO technicians had taken the money and bailed, I met three who came to work with me in Manchester. Some quality officers had gone too, my CO at 11 Signal Regiment being one. It took a few years for the Corps to recover.

My opinion and await further incoming.