"Are you Religious" II

The opportunity to focus on matters of faith, belief and spiritual matters.

I caught the last fifteen minutes of that Radio 4 thing from when they were discussing archaeology to try and verify what was written in the Bible with regards to Solomon. I tend to think of this line of approach as 'looking at the box'. Okay, it may help with building faith, and faith can help with the whole point of the exercise (spiritual transformation), but some folk just get stuck with the box and miss the contents. And do they really need to 'prove' the existence of people like Solomon anyway? Proof leaves very little room for faith.

I can't say I know much about the wise Solomon, but being an alike, I like Solomons description of an alcoholic

At the last it biteth like a serpent, and stingeth like an adder.
23:33 Thine eyes shall behold strange women, and thine heart shall utter perverse things.
23:34 Yea, thou shalt be as he that lieth down in the midst of the sea, or as he that lieth upon the top of a mast.
23:35 They have stricken me, shalt thou say, and I was not sick; they have beaten me, and I felt it not: when shall I awake? I will seek it yet again.
Thine eyes shall behold strange women = beer goggles
I was not sick; they have beaten me, etc = Unidentifyable Drinking Injuries

And of course, alcoholism in the end does 'bite like the snake, etc'; hence we have 'rock bottoms' where we're sick and tired of being sick and tired, so we then go and do something about our alcoholism. But Solomon wasn't that wise; he described the symptoms of alcoholism, but as far as I can see, he didn't provide a solution to it.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
No more so nor less so than the last thread!

Religion is the root of all evil. More people have died for 'Your" God or "Their" God than any other do gooder out there just killing people because it suits them.

That was, by far, the most wankable picture of a mermaid I have ever seen. I never really understood the whole shagging a half fish fantasy but after seeing this I will add it to my list of things I like to **** about that will probably send me to hell. Now that I am back on topic - NO.

In timed honoured ARRSE tradition, I've fixed that for you. ;)
Walk on by old thing. No-one is demanding you turn up. It's not the army you know :)

I gave up believing in magical things like unicorns and mermaids about the same time I went through puberty.

Religious types just need to grow the hell up.
See ya.

Oh I see, so this is a thread to discuss religion but only if one is a believer. How quaint. Kind of like most of the major religions on earth, where if you're an unbeliever then your opinion is worthless.

Go ahead and worship your fictional friends, it isn't going to make any difference in the end but if it affords you a crumb of comfort in your otherwise meaningless existence, then it would be churlish of me to prevent you wanting to enjoy your fantasies.
Er no. Post on topic as much you wish old bean.

I am on topic. It's a thread about fantasy friends and the intolerance of those who believe in them isn't it?
If you say so. Thought your first post was you flouncing off in herrumph, brushing the dust of your Disdain Sandals. But, if you're sticking around...

Latest Threads