Are you regular, TA, ex-military, or what?

Which category best descibes you?

  • Regular Army

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Territorial

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ex-regular

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ex-TA

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cadet

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Civilian

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other service (full-time)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other service (reserve)

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    0
#1
I was reading on another thread about there being over 12000 registered Arrsers, and I got to wondering about how many are actually still serving. As it is I get the impression that we are often seen as the unofficial voice of the British soldier, and it could be interesting to see if that actually holds true.


Sorry if this has been done before, I did do a search, but couldn't find anything similar.
 
#3
4(T) said:
How about "ex-Reg, now TA" or even "Ex-TA, now Reg"? There are probably one or two other valid categories.
Quite correct, personally I fit into three, but I thought we'd better keep it simple, or we'd end up with so many options that people would get confused.
 
#5
DozyBint said:
There's an ARRSE survey here but it has different categories to yours.
Nice one DB, in my opinion something like this should be part of the registration process.
 
#6
Tartan_Terrier said:
DozyBint said:
There's an ARRSE survey here but it has different categories to yours.
Nice one DB, in my opinion something like this should be part of the registration process.
Good idea, but what would happen when you get promoted?

Edited to add I'm a Ta Junior.
 
#7
StabTiffy2B said:
Tartan_Terrier said:
DozyBint said:
There's an ARRSE survey here but it has different categories to yours.
Nice one DB, in my opinion something like this should be part of the registration process.
Good idea, but what would happen when you get promoted?

Edited to add I'm a Ta Junior.
Well stick to mine then, no rank involved.

Don't ask what would happen when you left, I don't know!
 
#8
What about 'Snooping Journalist'?
 
#9
Queensman said:
What about 'Snooping Journalist'?
That'd probably be civilian!
 
#10
DozyBint said:
There's an ARRSE survey here but it has different categories to yours.
For some reason that survey didn't include Regular Army Captains. I might be guessing, but I think that there's quite a lot of them in the ARRSE ORBAT!
 
#12
DozyBint said:
Queensman said:
DozyBint said:
There's an ARRSE survey here but it has different categories to yours.
For some reason that survey didn't include Regular Army Captains. I might be guessing, but I think that there's quite a lot of them in the ARRSE ORBAT!
I didn't write it! :lol:
Somewhat pedantically, if you are not of Field Officer rank, you are a subbie........
 
#13
rickshaw said:
DozyBint said:
Queensman said:
DozyBint said:
There's an ARRSE survey here but it has different categories to yours.
For some reason that survey didn't include Regular Army Captains. I might be guessing, but I think that there's quite a lot of them in the ARRSE ORBAT!
I didn't write it! :lol:
Somewhat pedantically, if you are not of Field Officer rank, you are a subbie........
Sorry. No you're not.

Dictionary definition: 'Junior officer, below rank of Captain.' - Traditionally only a full Lieutenant, as a 2nd Lt is/was an Ensign or Cornet.
(I wish I knew how to do those link thingys.)
 
#14
Queensman said:
rickshaw said:
DozyBint said:
Queensman said:
DozyBint said:
There's an ARRSE survey here but it has different categories to yours.
For some reason that survey didn't include Regular Army Captains. I might be guessing, but I think that there's quite a lot of them in the ARRSE ORBAT!
I didn't write it! :lol:
Somewhat pedantically, if you are not of Field Officer rank, you are a subbie........
Sorry. No you're not.

Dictionary definition: 'Junior officer, below rank of Captain.' - Traditionally only a full Lieutenant, as a 2nd Lt is/was an Ensign or Cornet.
(I wish I knew how to do those link thingys.)
Intriguing. What dictionary? Interested as I have apparently been labouring under a misapprehension.
 
#15
#17
#18
Queensman said:
rickshaw said:
DozyBint said:
Queensman said:
DozyBint said:
There's an ARRSE survey here but it has different categories to yours.
For some reason that survey didn't include Regular Army Captains. I might be guessing, but I think that there's quite a lot of them in the ARRSE ORBAT!
I didn't write it! :lol:
Somewhat pedantically, if you are not of Field Officer rank, you are a subbie........
Sorry. No you're not.

Dictionary definition: 'Junior officer, below rank of Captain.' - Traditionally only a full Lieutenant, as a 2nd Lt is/was an Ensign or Cornet.
(I wish I knew how to do those link thingys.)
The only definition worth its salt here is QRs and it says 2Lt, Lt and Captains not of Field Rank, are Subalterns.
 
#19
Sangreal said:
The only definition worth its salt here is QRs and it says 2Lt, Lt and Captains not of Field Rank, are Subalterns.
Where does it say that in QRs? (Serious question) Can you give us the quote?
 
#20
rickshaw said:
Somewhat pedantically, if you are not of Field Officer rank, you are a subbie........
Sounds somewhat testicular!

Field officers are Lieutenant-Colonel and up.

I'm not sure of the correct term for Captains and Majors, but they're definitely not subalterns. Company grade perhaps?

Subalterns are Second-Lieutenants, and Lieutenants only!
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top