Are you proud to be english/ Scottish etc?

One thing I noticed when I moved from Edinburgh to Devon was the drop in the number of nationalist symbols. There are many signs of it in Scotland, from the saltire on car number plates to the constant emphasis on being Scottish not British.

Many Scots are very proud to be Scottish and waste no opportunity to let you know it. Some Welsh do the same.

But do you actually feel proud to be □insert nationality □ even though you have no say in the matter

There's a slight possibility that this thread may get locked.

W21A

War Hero
I'm proud to be Scottish; I'm proud to be British:but not ad nauseam I hope. I'm really pulled both ways on the referendums but then some clown at Westminster opens his gob and settles it.

I'd be proud to be Welsh in the current climate, as usual the England footy squad have made living as an English football fan a fcucking embarrassment.
I would always be embarrassed to admit I was a football fan.

There was a time, far away in the mists, when if you were asked for your nationality by some vile foreigner and his forms, you replied: "Brit/Scot", or "Brit/Eng", as I and my parents did. But pride, or loyalty - to the Union and some parts of it - is now uncool, except for everywhere else, where it is either demanded by the State or demanded by the society and your attachment to it. I now have some difficulty feeling attachment to England and the people in it, mostly because they've allowed that to happen. Good thing I'm half Scottish, I suppose.

B

Baldricks Batman

One thing I noticed when I moved from Edinburgh to Devon was the drop in the number of nationalist symbols. There are many signs of it in Scotland, from the saltire on car number plates to the constant emphasis on being Scottish not British.

Many Scots are very proud to be Scottish and waste no opportunity to let you know it. Some Welsh do the same.

But do you actually feel proud to be □insert nationality □ even though you have no say in the matter
The school system backed by successive governments has spent forty years trying to breed out what it perceives as English nationalism by down grading English history and enforced multi culturalism ( no dictionary at hand).

So its hardy a surprise now that the chickens are home to roost that people only care about themselves and what's in their own wallets..

Last edited by a moderator:
It's ok to be proud of your heritage but overt nationalism can become divisive.
I don't believe it's inferiority driven, more a statement of a common purpose and identity. Scotland and Wales are small geographically and population wise, so maybe they feel the need to shout a bit louder to be heard.
Wales and Iceland making plenty of noise and justifiably so.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Because civilised people south of the border don't have a massive chip on their shoulder and a huge inferiority complex.
Or any sort of tolerance for alcohol. Shandy drinkers to a man.

And French.

I do everything I possibly can to conceal my Welsh heritage.......

Oops!

The saltire thing is the outcome of a decade or so of an intense ultra-nationalist propaganda campaign, and in many cases either never used to be there or have replaced Union flags. You have a similar situation, to a lesser extent, in Wales.

Its worth bearing in mind that political activism does not necessarily correlate with public sentiment....

I don't get being proud over an accident of birth & being something I've never worked towards being, just as I don't feel "collective shame" at "fellow" Scots/ Brits misbehaving. I feel proud having served as it's something I aspired towards doing.

It's more understandable people aspiring to be British, American etc feeling proud of their adopted nation.

B

Baldricks Batman

It's ok to be proud of your heritage but overt nationalism can become divisive.
I don't believe it's inferiority driven, more a statement of a common purpose and identity. Scotland and Wales are small geographically and population wise, so maybe they feel the need to shout a bit louder to be heard.
Wales and Iceland making plenty of noise and justifiably so.
TBF Oscar Wilde had a point when he said Patriotism was the last bastion of a scoundrel.