Are you offended by the word "pikey"?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by 1stgulfmac, Jun 11, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Seemingly some are, especially those pikeys with TV's that watch Formula 1 racing.

Pikey offencey linky

Fair comment by Martin Brundle.

2. I'm not offended. There again, I am not a thieving pikey bstard!!!!!!

3. I don't find the word in the least bit offensive. Seems just like more PC bollux to me! :roll:

4. I must confess to sniggering when I heard Martin's interview with Berny onthe track at the weekend, and to be fair, the work done at turn 10 did indeed look like it had been done by a gang of pikies, bit of a botch job, and badly timed, and to get it done so quickly, tey must have nipped off down to the local caravan enclosure to find some pikies with some spare tarmac to "re-do their driveway".
    Offended, nope, because I am not a pikey, outraged at the level of exposure that this is recieving? Yes.

Fcucking pikies!

5. Nope. And if it offends Pikeys, f**k 'em!

6. A very good example Private Pike.

Pikey is a noun and can be used as an adjective as in the above example. Put together in such a way it can be used as an insult especially when combined with such a desciptive verb such as pikey. On examination, having removed the PC goggles you will see that this is a statement of fact when describing those who choose to live outside the constraints of society and its laws.

7. Just to play devils adovcate for a bit (someone has to)

Are you perchance black/homosexual/jewish/anything other than a WASP?

Would you find any of the usual pejorative words for those groups to be offensive?

Or is it OK to use such words because they don't mean you?

The question is whether the person using the words know or at least should know that some people do find it offensive.

8. Fat slags are offended by that term but it does not detract from the fact that they are fat and slags. It is bleading heart liberalism that got us in this mess in the first place. Oh, and bye the way I spent more than my fair share of time being called a Brit bastard, where's my compensation? Or in accordance with your logic are squaddies less worthy of the protection of the open toed sandle mob?

9. Ban the word pikey and people will only adopt the PC term 'traveller' as an insult instead.

Whatever Labour think, you can't pass laws about people's thoughts.

10. Oi, don't be dragging me into your argument. But while I happen to be passing, I've some tarmac left over from a job around the corner and noticed that your driveway is looking in need of repair. And are those loose tiles I can see on your roof? Do you like dags?

11. So these people are what exactly? Fish? A long pole with an axe on the end?

Pikey is exactly equivalent to nigger.
    Does not describe someone and is purely a pejorative term.

12. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

It offends me to be honest.

People can get mixed up with the term "Pikey" and "Thieving Gypo Bastards"

I hate to think of the chaos that would cause.

13. It's just quicker to use one word than a whole list of insulting but factual adjectives. Theirs is a lifestyle choice not a matter of genetics I have much the same opinion of scousers.

14. So what's wrong with that?

If pikeys weren't such f ucking pikeys, then they wouldn't get called pikeys...

you can swap the word pikey for the racist taunt of your choice, I really couldn't give a f uck which gang of non aryans I upset.... I'm not selective.

15. Not really, as black people, like white people and any other colour or creed generally live inside the law and are tax paying citizens whereas 'Pikeys' are not.