Are you offended by the word "pikey"?

I'm not offended. There again, I am not a thieving pikey bstard!!!!!!

I must confess to sniggering when I heard Martin's interview with Berny onthe track at the weekend, and to be fair, the work done at turn 10 did indeed look like it had been done by a gang of pikies, bit of a botch job, and badly timed, and to get it done so quickly, tey must have nipped off down to the local caravan enclosure to find some pikies with some spare tarmac to "re-do their driveway".
Offended, nope, because I am not a pikey, outraged at the level of exposure that this is recieving? Yes.

Fcucking pikies!

Daytona955 said:
A very good example Private Pike.

Pikey is a noun and can be used as an adjective as in the above example. Put together in such a way it can be used as an insult especially when combined with such a desciptive verb such as pikey. On examination, having removed the PC goggles you will see that this is a statement of fact when describing those who choose to live outside the constraints of society and its laws.

Daytona955 said:
Just to play devils adovcate for a bit (someone has to)

Are you perchance black/homosexual/jewish/anything other than a WASP?

Would you find any of the usual pejorative words for those groups to be offensive?

Or is it OK to use such words because they don't mean you?

The question is whether the person using the words know or at least should know that some people do find it offensive.

Steven said:
Daytona955 said:

Would you find any of the usual pejorative words for those groups to be offensive?

The question is whether the person using the words know or at least should know that some people do find it offensive.
Fat slags are offended by that term but it does not detract from the fact that they are fat and slags. It is bleading heart liberalism that got us in this mess in the first place. Oh, and bye the way I spent more than my fair share of time being called a Brit bastard, where's my compensation? Or in accordance with your logic are squaddies less worthy of the protection of the open toed sandle mob?

Ban the word pikey and people will only adopt the PC term 'traveller' as an insult instead.

Whatever Labour think, you can't pass laws about people's thoughts.

western said:
Daytona955 said:
A very good example Private Pike.

Pikey is a noun and can be used as an adjective as in the above example. Put together in such a way it can be used as an insult especially when combined with such a desciptive verb such as pikey. On examination, having removed the PC goggles you will see that this is a statement of fact when describing those who choose to live outside the constraints of society and its laws.
Oi, don't be dragging me into your argument. But while I happen to be passing, I've some tarmac left over from a job around the corner and noticed that your driveway is looking in need of repair. And are those loose tiles I can see on your roof? Do you like dags?

western said:
Steven said:
Daytona955 said:

Fat slags are offended by that term but it does not detract from the fact that they are fat and slags. It is bleading heart liberalism that got us in this mess in the first place.
So these people are what exactly? Fish? A long pole with an axe on the end?

Pikey is exactly equivalent to nigger.
Does not describe someone and is purely a pejorative term.

B_AND_T

MIA
Book Reviewer
It offends me to be honest.

People can get mixed up with the term "Pikey" and "Thieving Gypo Bastards"

I hate to think of the chaos that would cause.

Steven said:
western said:
Steven said:
Daytona955 said:

Fat slags are offended by that term but it does not detract from the fact that they are fat and slags. It is bleading heart liberalism that got us in this mess in the first place.

It's just quicker to use one word than a whole list of insulting but factual adjectives. Theirs is a lifestyle choice not a matter of genetics I have much the same opinion of scousers.

Steven said:
western said:
Steven said:
Daytona955 said:

So what's wrong with that?

If pikeys weren't such f ucking pikeys, then they wouldn't get called pikeys...

you can swap the word pikey for the racist taunt of your choice, I really couldn't give a f uck which gang of non aryans I upset.... I'm not selective.

Steven said:
western said:
Steven said:
Daytona955 said:

Not really, as black people, like white people and any other colour or creed generally live inside the law and are tax paying citizens whereas 'Pikeys' are not.

western said:
Steven said:
western said:
Steven said:
Daytona955 said:

It's just quicker to use one word than a whole list of insulting but factual adjectives. There's is a life choice not a matter of genetics I have much the same opinion of scousers.
Now you are saying that their cultural background and historically proven life is purely a choice?

You really are trying to insult people aren't you.

So you would be quite happy with Taig/left footer/red sea pedestraian/junkydopesmokingrasta and the like then?

(sorry but I can't keep this offended PC crap up for long.

Steven said:
Now you are saying that their cultural background and historically proven life is purely a choice?

You really are trying to insult people aren't you.
Re your first statement. WTF do you mean? Cultural background, you mean chosing to avoid education and taxation while bringing up their children to 'go on the rob' when the rest of us go shopping/

'Historically proven life' meaning they have got away with this for years.

As for insulting people yes I do intend to insult those members of the 'travelling community' who are dishonest, violent and antisocial. Those who live within the laws and rules of society I consider fellow citizens.

PS How can Pikey be exactly the same as nigger? My Nigerian mate tells me that he has never met a black Pikey in his life!

well I remember a thread on ARRSe about Terry Taliban, as it was degoatory! I then suggested we call them floppys instead, due to the fact they go floppy when shot. So what new laibour want to do is to ban any nick name for anyone or thing! so being a bit on the short side that I am can I sue anyone that calls me a short arrse, because thats what I am, Pikeys are Pikeys and will always be Pikeys. Unless they get a real job and proper house with brick walls and a roof and not on wheels and pay tax. Would new laibour goverment be better off for chasing these tax dodging theives.

At the end of the day you are what you are get on with it.

Stilts

Actually Stevn,accordig to a mate of mine who owns Silcocks Fair in Manchester, the term "pikey" is a very old one,derived from "turnpike",an old word for road. Called thus from their wandering habits on the roads of olde England.
Not a particulary derogative term really. Its only when you add "scum",or prefix it with "theiving sister f*cking" that it becomes an insult
Of course,within the travellet/fairground community there is a hierarchy of destinctions,but I cant remember them off the top of my head