Are you offended by being referred to as a Squaddie?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by RangiRam, Feb 21, 2006.

?
  1. Bloody right I am!

19.0%
  2. I am not bothered one way or the other

20.0%
  3. I've been called a lot worse

34.0%
  4. It's what I am

27.0%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A Retired Officer of my aquaintance has suggested that the term Squaddie is a perjorative term (i.e. expressing contempt) for an inexperience soldier dating back to National Service days, used by Regulars to describe National Service recruits who were untrained, incapable of thinking for themselves and who could only be herded around in squads. He is rallying against its use and is trying to stop the likes of Soldier Magazine from referring to our brave boys as mere 'squaddies'.

I assert that this meaning has fallen by the wayside and it is now a general, if not affectionate term, one that is used by everyone to refer to a soldier, both within the Army and by onlookers; Dermot Moynahan coined the expression only the other day on Breakfast Time!

What is your view? Are you offended by the term? Do you care? State your view here.

2. I am not offended.

I think alotof terms used in days of yore have fallen by the wayside. May I bring to your attention the word "Gay". I'm sure alot of Arrsers are very gay to be here. ;)

3. There is one word that I find far more offensive than Squaddie and that is "Civvie"

4. The jury has been out on where the "squaddie" thing originated from. One of the more plausible is that its a corruption of the Hindi word "sawadee" or soldier. Anyhoo, the use of the term by those outside the game often appears (and I'm not too sensitive a wee soul) to have a perjorative overtone as in "How would you expect him to understand, he's only a squaddie". It also seems to be, for some folk, a shorthand for crude and licentious soldier and not for gangling, effete member of the officer class. So, in general terms, I'm agin it when its used in a disparaging way. Come to think of it, I'm getting pretty hacked off with it whenever the press use it, either as a stick to beat us ("Crazed squaddies in night rampage") or in an oleaginous attempt to appear to support us("We're going in with our hero squaddies"). Don't start me on the use of the word "elite" in a military context...........

5. It's a bit like the US term "Grunt" gets used as an insult by outsiders, considered a badge of honour (Rightly so) by squaddies..

6. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

The ...er...current Mrs Goat said to me the other day

" Squaddie? Is that how you think of yourself then?...I never wanted to be a squaddie's wife! "

So I think SHE believed it to be , as you say, a perjorative term......I don't particularly - but I suspect she's in the majority, certainly amongst the chatterati....

I was a jack before I was a squaddie, so when I got khaki-ised being called JACK was something I puzzled over - not an insult where I'd come from :)

Squaddie is at least a straight forward British term....Tommy is a bit , er, Mister Cholmondely-Warner....TOM is a bit Grant Mitchell....Grunt is a bit Full Metal Jacket....what the hell else are you going to call British soldiers?

Be proud gents.....( not sure what female squaddies are called these days ! )

Le Chevre

7. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

I dunno...STAB runs it a close second ;-)...especially to those about to receive their SECOND call-up for the Sandbox.....

8. Yes deeply offended, I was and still am a bootneck, but what would mere civvies know!!

Similar to a cmt being called a nurse!! he he he

Toodlepip
    TheGimp

9. I am too much of a lady to tell you what i've been called other than squaddie.

10. Squaddie is pejorative indeed and replaced the imperial term "swaddy" in the lexicon. I will accept squaddy from other soldiers but not from chi-iking, gobfaced civilians or crabs. I am not sure how I feel about Pongos, because in my opinion having lived cheek by jowel with sailors on Fearless (oops sorry, "in" Fearless) they are quite as foul smelling as their myths would have us be! :twisted:

11. I think a word or term can be turned around to mean a positive.

In america, the black population now use the N word as a term of enderment. Although you are still seen as racist if you are a pasty whie caucasian if you say it to them.

The term Split Arrse is a bit contentious aswell. Some women are insulted by it but the gals in the forum think it is a very apt term to describe female arrsers.

Well, it makes me titter anyway :wink:

12. Soldier_Why

Soldier_Why LE Moderator

13. Offended? no as it's been already been said....that's what I am and proud of it! however, it's a term of pride when I use it, when the gutter press (the scum and the like) use it it used as a derogoritory term. I am and will continue to be a 'squaddie' and BO****KS to the journo scom!!!!

14. Recent example of current usage - "Don't blame the squaddies" - Andrew Gilligan (defence and diplomatic editor of the Spectator and staff writer on the London Evening Standard) says the British soldiers who beat up Iraqi rioters have become surrogates for our deep moral worry about Iraq. The Spectator, 18 Feb 06.

15. It depends in what context it's being used. Nothing worse than being sterotyped as a stupid, ignorant, arogant, womanising twat, especially by some second rate hack trying to get a story.