Are you given a lump sum when you leave the army?

Hi, my husband is in the army but he’s unsure with regards to his entitlement when he leaves the army and I wondered if someone on here may be able to help?

He’s deployed just now and is going to look into this when he gets back but I wondered if you could maybe give us an idea what to expect?

I know the pension isn’t quite what it used to be but my questions are, do you get a lump sum at the end of your full service? if so, roughly how much would it be? Also, is your pension paid as soon as you leave?

Thanks very much for your help :)

One years final salary for each year served paid lump sum, first 30K tax free.

Edit: Less money for diffies.

Hi, my husband is in the army but he’s unsure with regards to his entitlement when he leaves the army and I wondered if someone on here may be able to help?

He’s deployed just now and is going to look into this when he gets back but I wondered if you could maybe give us an idea what to expect?

I know the pension isn’t quite what it used to be but my questions are, do you get a lump sum at the end of your full service? if so, roughly how much would it be? Also, is your pension paid as soon as you leave?

Thanks very much for your help :)

5ace57dc7708e96b6f6a4b5e-750-563.jpg

Sorry, I’m going to sound really stupid here but I don’t understand one year’s final salary for each year? Can you elaborate at all? Like I said, I’m completely clueless with this sort of thing.

Don't tell her Pike

I was gonna say; sounds like someone getting the low down ready for a divorce.

Yes love, he gets 200 thousand pounds lump sum and 50 thousand pounds a year for life.
Tell tale twit, your mum can't knit

I'm sorry I could have been more clear.

For example (keeping numbers simple)
Salary on leaving date is say £10000
Service is 15 years so £10000 times 15 is £150000

If hubby is on say £29K multiply by 2.9, for accuracy adjust to his actual final salary.

He's gonna be rich.

Last edited:
@Scotty53 just in case the penny hasn`t dropped yet - We are very protective of our comrades here and when somebody rocks up asking the sort of questions you have we tend to look upon you with some suspicion.

Hope you understand.

Thank you... can I get that post somehow removed do you know? I just felt the need to explain myself since everyone obviously assumed I wasn’t being genuine.
Just edit it yourself. It should be at the bottom of your post. ie Report Edit Delete
Screenshot from 2018-09-08 21:05:53.png

Screenshot from 2018-09-08 21:05:53.png

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Thank you... can I get that post somehow removed do you know? I just felt the need to explain myself since everyone obviously assumed I wasn’t being genuine.
Look at the bottom left of your post, there are 3 buttons you can click on, one says "edit". Use this to adjust your post.

Latest Threads