Are you better of in or out of the DMS these days.

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by Pox_Dr, Sep 9, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Straight forward enough I think. Are you better of financially, job satisfaction etc etc, by staying or leaving the DMS

Having been a civvy now for almost a year I have my own opinion, but I’m interested in others opinion before I put my ore in.
  2. I think it very much depends on what's available for individuals if they go outside. Levels of qualification / experience differ greatly throughout each CEG. There are good jobs and big wages available for those who are qualified to practice or teach pre-hospital care. Even the NHS has made the effort to pay more with A4C (although not everybody is satisfied). I think that everyone who is reaching their 12 year point as I am, takes a look around to see what's available, and currently there are some good opportunities. I just don't think that the RAMC is in a position where it can compete in the pre-hospital care employment market. It's great for young people getting started, but it has little to offer the educated / qualified (in my CEG anyway). I'm not trying to slate the Corps, but the hard facts are that we have just been to war (and still are) and we are skint. Everything is currently being attempted on a shoestring budget (more-so!) which makes it difficult for the RAMC to retain good people. To answer your question, I think I would probably be financially better off outside and I think the quality of life for me and my family would be better too. Obviously the grass is always greener, but I am currently in the process of doing the maths. For what it's worth, I would very much like to stay in the Army, but financially, it's just not viable for me and all the effort I put into my pre-hospital work, paramedic registration etc. would just go to waste as I went from desk job to deskjob. Shame really. :(
  3. I have to agree with Invictus. I make 8 years this month and I too am doing the maths. Most jobs for my CEG are advertised at over 20K pa within the NHS with the private sector better paid. It won't be long before I can leave and hopefully get the same if not more money without having to go away every 18-24 months. That isn't to say there is a lot I wouldn't miss about army life but I think in all likelyhood I will see out my current post (another couple of years) and then call it quits.
  4. I have been out a couple years now and the service has changed so radically since I first joined that it is almost unrecognizeable to me now. I left as I would no longer be able to practice my trade (midwife) and despite having served for 13 years, I dont miss it that much! Despite the NHS working conditions being c**p to say the least, I do feel more valued. Financially it was amassive loss for me. After so long in the services I had to start at rock bottom in the NHS!
    If I had to start all over again I would still join up. I had a great time.
  5. I worked in the NHS for many years before I joined up (crazy most people say). But why did I do it?

I could no longer face the idea of going into work in the same hospital, with the same people, with no light at the end of the tunnel. Moving on every few years was a right pain with applications, interviews, house sales ect. The holidays werent long enough & there was no scope for deviation. However the pay was good, much better than in the forces.

So, now here I am. I get longer leave periods, there is the opportunity for adventure training, I get a change of scene with tours ect & there is a new post waiting for me every 2-3 years. Perfect. . . . . . . with a few draw backs. . . . .

Pay is nothing like as good, with no ability for oncalls. My standard of living is lower (jnr rank) & my free time is vertually nonexsistant.

So am I better off? As a single lady, with no children, then this life works for me right now. For how much longer though im not sure.
  6. I've been out for almost two years (of the Army, not the closet) new career with new colleagues, sadly, as I have previously stated, I do not miss the AMS at all, I do miss the friends that I made though.

Arrse lets the humour continue

The grass is greener on the other side....if you want it to be.
  7. I have to fully support this - been out a year now and the remuneration is FANTASTIC. The most rewarding part is that I do not have to spend nights way. The technology used out here is far better than the DDS can ever hope to achieve and also the training opportunities far surpasses that provided by Aldershot and Halton.

Regrets Рnot in the slightest Рwould I do the same again РOF COURSE Рthe life was good the friends were excellent Рthe style of management was crӣp but that is the same in all Services.

Helpful hint – Leave when pension able – just do it, go on you can – just remember the good times
  8. I have to agree with the last 2 posts. I’ve been out 1 year now & as others have said I miss the friends but not the job.

I came out a SSGT responsible for ensuring I got to work on time & as per normal in the QA’s even that was checked on.

Now I have a team of dedicated individuals, a budget that is rather daunting to say the least, & respect. Rewards include study time & a 10000 a year more than I was on before for the same job title, thank you AfC.

The best thing I did was turn down a commission & extension. I’m even being headed hunted which is great for the ego.

The NHS may have its problems, but it is better at looking after its people & listens when the time is right.

Why was that, I had no NHS time only MDHU time & I came out on a I Grade, AfC 8b.
  9. Because I ended up having to do a return to midwifery practice course! All previous experience null and void apparently. But then my NHS trust is not known for its generosity! My biggest problem was accompanying my husband to N.I. after leaving as there was no way I was able to send my CV to any hospital after 13 years in the Army!
  10. I can see why the NI & army thing may conflict.

But the under the Employment Act 2002 & the NHS improving working lives document there is provision for leaving service personnel entering the job market to have previous skills & training acknowledged & paid accordingly.
  11. Now you tell me!! :wink:

Won't be a problem now as I can apply for a higher grade post should I so wish, now I am back in practice so to speak! Just as soon as we know what the new pay points are (we are being teased by agenda for change in my trust). The more I think about it the more i may chase up the pay bit. I left the Army as a senior captain.....bit of a drop to a bottom F (no pay point increments given).
  12. As an old git looking at pension soon, I might add my ten-penith!

I for one am looking forward to leaving, leaving the DMS not my friends/colleagues/mates. Since the mid-90s I have witnessed the destruction and demoralisation of the AMS/DMS. I have seen a once proud and good organisation reduced to penny pinching and the adoption of a non-caring "Doctors come first" attitude.

Still it has given me a vast array of qualifications that the NHS might have given me eventually, it never once rejected my application for these quals/courses, and for that I thank it. However A4C has made the job more profitable now, than staying and serving in the DMS.

The DMS is sinking and rapidly, it is losing experience and I witness apathy instead of a drive to keep these people.

I worry if we have a serious conflict soon
  13. Don’t put all your trust in AfC, at my trust covering 2 sights, Northwick Park Hospital & Central Middlesex Hospital, ODA are coming in at 6 & 7s where as St Marys is paying the same post 5 & 6s. Its all down to job profiles & KSF.

All over time has gone to flat rate pay whether you work a w/e, PH or night same rates.

Some have come of better some have broke even others have wage freezes till there pay catches up.

By the time you get out most of the pay appeals that are going through will be settled, think of the introduction of pay 2000 & times it by a 100 & that will give you an idea of the number of unhappy people out here at the moment.

Most though it was going to be the all great NHS saviour as far as pay is concerned. But the gov has given no extra funds for its introduction & the pay rise this year has not been decided until all trusts have assimilated mostly by the end of Oct 05 which in NHS speak means in about 18 months time.
  14. Well that seems to be what has been the problem. At the risk of upsetting a few people Nursing Officers are often overpaid for the jobs they do (some direct entrants would have trouble getting an E grade post in the NHS), and without recent NHS experience it is difficult to walk into a G grade post or higher.

Having said that when I left the army as a Sgt RGN I took a massive pay cut as I went into midwifery training but it was worth it as I felt I had more control over my life, and when I went home at the end of the day that was it, no extra duties or having to clean the communal stairwells.
  15. With my experience as a midwife I should have been able to get a G grade. Not that I would want one....G grade labour ward coordinator in an NHS ward....couldn't pay me enough to do it!! Mainly due to finances over riding everything else....not enough staff.........
    I just feel that despite having as much / or more experience as my collegues it seems a shame that none of it was recognised. Apparently that is down to the managers in my trust! Oh and I do 2 on calls a week (same as in the Army only more likely to get called out now!)
    I feel that nursing officers get paid the right amount for the job! Its the NHS that don't pay enough to nurses and midwives!