Are you a: Information Systems Engineer

PoisonDwarf said:
whistler said:
I spoke to a Tp Comd from one of the Armd Bdes a while back and he was perplexed at how he could employ his Techs.
Ah...the troop commander....that font of all knowledge with his reams of experience and lateral thinking. 8O </sarcasm> Surely he goes to the űbertech - the Foreman of Signals. The FofS has jumped through all the appropriate hoops, risen to the top of his/her trade and universally recognised as the technical subject matter expert in the unit. Everyone's a winner and the troopy can be satisfied at a job well done. Back to the mess for tea and medals. :)

Alternatively, he or she could take the arrogant approach, refuse help from the appropriate SMEs, neglect to manage those soldiers properly, give them all crap CRs for not being proactive enough and then watch the morale plummet. It really bugs me when I hear from Offrs, WOs and SNCOs "I haven't seen Sig Bloggs all year as he has been on detachment to XYZ Troop, so it's difficult for me to write a good CR for him". It's a damning refusal to take one's responsibilities seriously. Grrrr :evil:

When in doubt - more training. Just like that old HR proverb "It's better to train your staff and lose them, than not train them and keep them".
Was that the 5 minute rant or the full half hour :lol:

I always say that you can't have enough lectures on basic man management, so thank you. You didn't comment on how these techs could be employed given that their primary task has been taken away from them. The Tp Comd I refer to was (mis) using them as ops.

Flight

LE
Book Reviewer
Thats all fair enough Gravelbelly though it dosn't hide the fact that they really are scumbags of the first order....

You have to either find one of the few companies who don't use the feckers or work minor miracles to get back into the IT world.

If they place someone who is working in a similar role then they are the first to know about that vacancy, plus they get more commission as the client has to tempt the placee with a higher salary. If they place you from outside the industry then they end up ringing up old CVs trying to find out where they've been for interviews recently (find out who is hiring) and whether any of their mates are looking (more CVs) whilst pretending to hawk a non existent job.

IS Engr is a thankless task ie if the IT works your the grey man if it fails your getting shafted - use of outdated eqpt ATacs ELCs and are not allowed to use initiative bcos some staff officer knows better cos hes done a clait course 10 years ago.

Superdood said:
IS Engr is a thankless task ie if the IT works your the grey man if it fails your getting shafted - use of outdated eqpt ATacs ELCs and are not allowed to use initiative bcos some staff officer knows better cos hes done a clait course 10 years ago.
After that, i know your fishing for a bite.

Boney

Gents

never mind all that technical stuff:

How the **** do you get past Darth Marl on Star Wars Lego 1.

Stick that up yer pumper!!

Mitch

Flight said:
You have to either find one of the few companies who don't use the feckers or work minor miracles to get back into the IT world.
Ours refuses to use them.... :) :)

Most companies have a staff referral scheme; given that the cost of hiring someone through an agency is a month's salary or more, then paying staff members a couple of £k to bring in a mate is cheaper; it's also more effective, in that if you bring in a numpty you're known for it.

So - find a mate in a firm, and ask. The power of networking....

The Scottish IT sector also has this site:
http://www.talentscotland.com/view_item.aspx?item_id=11

Sparkplug said:
NO got a real Job
Sparkplug, the Arrser most likely to say "Would you like cheese with that Sir?"....................

Superdood said:
I cannot believe the_guru let that one go. Nothing more needs to be said.