Are We Really Any Better Off After Our Desert Adventures ?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by AIR FILTER, Mar 23, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Between both Gulf Wars, Afghan and this latest crusade with Libya, we must have used hundreds of tons of ordinance costing billions to the UK tax payer.

The question is ... Are we really any better off as a country after doing all of this ??

I know that we are a damn sight poorer, in more ways than one, that's for sure!

As for keeping terrorism off our streets, i say that the hundreds of good people who we have now sadly lost and those now scared for life mentally and physically would be the equivalent of several major terror attacks here in the UK.
  2. Er, No.

3. Add to that the 100s of thousands of good men (from both sides) who lie in military cemeteries from Morocco to Egypt in the see-saw battles in North Africa in the last war and you would question our sanity in ever getting involved in the area again.
  4. We're not and it's evens at best if the Iraqis, Afghans, Libyans, etc. are either.
  5. Invading these countries in the first place brings terrorism to this country. Stirring up a hornets nest springs to mind.
  6. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

I wish you'd learn how to spell ordnance. Hundreds of tons of laws are of little effect.

As to your question, who knows where we'd be if these things hadn't happened? Entirely impossible to know. Why do you ask?
  7. We would have been far better off improving our security and finding all the illegals living here, which the government admits it has no idea how many there are living here.
  8. Yes, that's why Mr Bin Laden decided to attack the USA in 2001, in retaliation for their invasion of his home country... oh wait.
  9. Given that he defines Islam as his home country, that's not far off the truth.
  10. ******* hell. The no mark never served (even in the TA, cadets or cubs) civvy speaks again. The USA were up to no good in Pakistan and Afghanistan long before they sent in the masses. Do you think Bin Laden did it because he doesn't like MacDonalds?
  11. And in his view our invasion was a moral one. Our western morals and ideals such as allowing women to be equal and allowing them to have an education led him to feel the west was a threat to islam.

Just under 3000 people were killed as a direct result of the september 11th attacks, these attacks could happen because terrorist groups could operate in places like Afghanistan.
  12. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

But the chavs think they are safer. OK I know why I left, sorry.
  13. Even considering most training camps are in Pakistan, Somalia and the Yemen? So why aren't we there?
  14. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Most of them don't have the first clue about the consequences of anything.

But you knew that, sorry, they deserve all they have coming to them.
  15. Err .... and just under 400 British troops have been killed (to date) as a direct result of being in Afghan, and that is the equivalent of several terrorist attacks on the UK, heaven forbid.