Are We Poisoning Our Troops?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Skynet, Jun 12, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Are We Poisoning Our Troops? Congress Takes Critical Step in Addressing Burn Pits in Iraq, Afghanistan
    digg stumble reddit
    Read More: Afghanistan, Burn Pit, Cancer, Carol Porter-Shea, Congress, Department Of Defense, Iava, Iraq, Kbr, Paul Rieckhoff, Tim Bishop, Veteran, Politics News

Veterans have heard time and again about their fellow troops falling ill after serving near burn pits in Iraq and Afghanistan:

Dennis Gogel was stationed in Balad twice between 2004 and 2006. He said he was in housing just a few hundred yards from the [burn] pit and would often jog past the pit. The 29-year old Gogel said that in the last two years he's had upper respiratory infections, skin irritation and he's lost 60 pounds since deployment.

"I have blotchy spots on my face. I was treated for psoriasis, but it won't go way," he said. Gogel said his doctors do not know what caused the problems.

Gogel said it has affected his fitness, too. "I used to run two miles in 10 minutes. I am up to 17," he said. -CNN

Already, seven class-action lawsuits are pending on behalf of troops and contractors who say they were sickened by burn pits in Iraq and Afghanistan. And at least one servicemember, Air Force Maj. Kevin Wilkins, may have died as a result of the toxic exposure.
    More on the link
  2. bugger....I thought that this was a thread about RLC chefs. :wink:

I was going to mention Pat the Poisoner and Codename Cripping from my old unit.
  3. Whilst it is perfectly feasible that burn pits could be the source of airborne infections one thing is for sure: the British Government will take years and years of mounting pressure to even consider the possibility let alone look into compensation/help for any afflicted. Just look at Gulf War Syndrome and you can see the future.
  4. 'cough' Christmas Island tests 'cough' - Edited for my oops on the Island, now corrected :oops:
  5. I agree, but with respect this is exactly the sort of issue which the Appeal Court's human rights ruling should help with, if it is allowed to stand.

Would I be right in thinking that burn pits could be the source of toxic chemicals (mercury, dioxins and so forth), as well as airborne infections?
  6. They're probably more likely to be a source of toxic chemicals including those you've said and hydrogen cyanide than airborne infection because most germs should be killed by the heat with just a few escaping on updrafts.
    I apologise for earlier confusion over the HRA, fortunately Iolis's highly informative post put me right!