Are we outraged that the Nips are outraged by beheadings?

Having just finished reading about the Rape of Nanking and the conditions endured by FEPOWs in WW2, I find myself slightly bemused by this BBC News article which reports that the Japanese are outraged that a couple of their nationals appear to have lost their heads in Syria.

Have the Japs really moved on since the days of their 20th century colonialist ambition, their rather brutal code of Bushido and honour/dishonour and their seeming ambivalence towards human misery and suffering?

Has the leopard changed its spots and the descendants of the Empire of the Sun become all cuddly and 'uman rights conscient?

In the finest traditions of Arrse and Arrsers, I'm hoping for some balanced and thought-provoking comment as to whether we need to POL and draw the keys of THAT bus, or whether the agreement is that Karma can be a bit of a bastard.

Posted in the Naafi, in order to bring out the best of candid comment and sympathetic sentiment.

alib

LE
I still haven't forgiven them for producing the Nissan Cherry.

drknot

Old-Salt
just to derail it straight away.

what were you reading about the Rape of Nanking, looking to further my knowledge of far Eastern history of that period, especially of the Philippines, but anywhere would do.

Troy

LE
Quite frankly, beheading used to be a Japanesse pastime. It seems to me that nowadays they are in denial about all their past attrocities. Of course, it could be that a newer generation sees things differently, but I doubt that it would take much for them to revert to their old ways.

At what point do we say "Bygones."?

The same applies to the Germans. The world cup brought out some xenophobic remarks from colleagues until I pointed out they've been NATO allies for far longer than we'd been duffing each other up.

As a nation they prefer nonviolent intervention. Supporting medical engineering operations, rather than projecting force.

philc

LE
Odd timing, was talking with my Mum yesterday about the Holcaust memorial and she told me about her Uncle. Seems he told her when he came back from Borneo about theJaps habit of killing POWs that had tats for their skin and making lampshades, the COs wife of the camp he was in was a firm fan of the practice.

God knows what old school japs would make of Hipsters these days, suitcases?

just to derail it straight away.

what were you reading about the Rape of Nanking, looking to further my knowledge of far Eastern history of that period, especially of the Philippines, but anywhere would do.
The Rape of Nanking/Iris Chang/978-0-465-06836-4. What the Japanese did when they overran the city. It's deeply unpleasant to read and even less pleasant to try to comprehend and to rationalise.
Surviving the Sword/Brian MacArthur/978-0-349-11937-3. The conditions of life and death experienced by FEPOWs. To put it into perspective: POWs in Germany = 4%, FEPOWs = 27%

Edit to add: %ages shown are deaths in captivity.

Last edited:

S0I

LE
It should be noted that the Japanese treatment of POW's in the Russo-Japanese War and WWI were considered a model of correctness with scrupulous adherence to the requirements of the Geneva Convention..

llech

LE
I was having this very same conversation, the ******* neck (pun intended) of the cnuts beggars belief.
Aussie_execution.jpg

It should be noted that the Japanese treatment of POW's in the Russo-Japanese War and WWI were considered a model of correctness with scrupulous adherence to the requirements of the Geneva Convention..
Which is quite a surprise because the Japanese never ratified the Geneva Convention "mainly because it proposed that POWs should be treated in a different way from her own soldiers".

In fact, it permitted the Japanese to vent their indoctrinated hatred of "white oppressors" and to provide a ready supply of expendable labour for projects and industry.

alib

LE
Now a Fiat, you could get a shag in a Fiat.

I am outraged that I spent time watching merry Christmas Mr Lawrence t'other day.
Melly Chlistmas Mr Rawrence is better.

The difference between the Japanese and the Germans is that the Germans apologised for being Nazis and recognised their barbarism. The Japanese probably outdid the Nazis as far as savagery is concerned,* and yet they still continue to deny their sinister and nefarious past. They are a remarkably insular race.

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_731

Latest Threads