Are we learning the right lessons from Iraq ?

Discussion in 'Staff College and Staff Officers' started by One_of_the_strange, Oct 28, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The link below goes to a very interesting presentation from the US Army War College. It's a year or so old but still worth a read. To quote from the last slide:

"Central finding: synergistic interaction between advanced technology and Iraqi ineptitude was necessary and sufficient for low-cost victory"

This assessment and other points therein do not appear to be reflected in a lot of the "lessons learned" I've seen. What does everyone else think ?

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/congress/2003_hr/03-10-21warcollege.pdf

2. Typical American jargon.

Anyway, I thought that the term was now 'Lessons Identified' because as someone rightly pointed out, we never seem to learn lessons, just make the same mistakes again.

:wink:

3. And they've done quite a good job of illustrating the point, too.

I suppose the example of speed and advanced technology meeting a less inept opponent is the first Russian "Thunder Run" into Grozny's main square. 100% losses for the Russians, IIRC.

Unlike the examples shown in the presentation, the Chechens did make best use of concealment, equivalent personal skills, etc. - remember the slides showing "typical location of hits on Russian AFVs"?

After all, have all the ERA you like, an RPG-22 down onto the commander's hatch is still going to make your ears ring. And to link it in to the "Chariot 4" thread, I understand that the new Israeli Merkava 4 has had its loader's hatch removed in order to thicken the roof armour........

4. The counterfactual slide says it all I think, regarding a very long war and the fact that the Iraqis seem to be quite good now at partisan warfare! The end of major combat operations has certainly put them in a postion of very steep curve learning.