Are we learning the right lessons from Iraq ?

Discussion in 'Staff College and Staff Officers' started by One_of_the_strange, Oct 28, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The link below goes to a very interesting presentation from the US Army War College. It's a year or so old but still worth a read. To quote from the last slide:

"Central finding: synergistic interaction between advanced technology and Iraqi ineptitude was necessary and sufficient for low-cost victory"

This assessment and other points therein do not appear to be reflected in a lot of the "lessons learned" I've seen. What does everyone else think ?
  2. Typical American jargon.

Anyway, I thought that the term was now 'Lessons Identified' because as someone rightly pointed out, we never seem to learn lessons, just make the same mistakes again.

3. And they've done quite a good job of illustrating the point, too.

I suppose the example of speed and advanced technology meeting a less inept opponent is the first Russian "Thunder Run" into Grozny's main square. 100% losses for the Russians, IIRC.

Unlike the examples shown in the presentation, the Chechens did make best use of concealment, equivalent personal skills, etc. - remember the slides showing "typical location of hits on Russian AFVs"?

After all, have all the ERA you like, an RPG-22 down onto the commander's hatch is still going to make your ears ring. And to link it in to the "Chariot 4" thread, I understand that the new Israeli Merkava 4 has had its loader's hatch removed in order to thicken the roof armour........
  4. The counterfactual slide says it all I think, regarding a very long war and the fact that the Iraqis seem to be quite good now at partisan warfare! The end of major combat operations has certainly put them in a postion of very steep curve learning.