Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Are we failing to adapt quickly enough?

Ord_Sgt

RIP        
An interesting report on the Taliban of today? Are they adapting better than us and shooting to bits our stereo typical views?

YouTube.

There was a discussion in current affairs last week asking if we are fighting intelligently, getting bogged down with too much 'base' and not enough 'mobility'

The Taleban have consistently shown they are smart operators able to rapidly change tactics and adopt innovative strategies much quicker than we do. Their PR has often run rings aorund western forces

Ord_Sgt said:
whitecity said:
Ord_Sgt said:
whitecity said:
Ord_Sgt said:
An interesting report on the Taliban of today? Are they adapting better than us and shooting to bits our stereo typical views?

YouTube.

You tell us Mr Stereotype.

Mate you're a civvy and increasing your post count doesn't add anything.

Aren't you a civvie too?

Nope now go away.

Then you must be on a different RnR Island to me. :)

meridian said:
There was a discussion in current affairs last week asking if we are fighting intelligently, getting bogged down with too much 'base' and not enough 'mobility'

The Taleban have consistently shown they are smart operators able to rapidly change tactics and adopt innovative strategies much quicker than we do. Their PR has often run rings aorund western forces

That report - if true - shows we need to adapt to what are their changing tactics. We have a view on who they are and that rather blows it all out of the water.

Ord_Sgt said:
That report - if true - shows we need to adapt to what are their changing tactics. We have a view on who they are and that rather blows it all out of the water.

Maybe your view is blown out of the water. Mine isn't.

Or maybe it's just time to take your head out of the sand and recognise that some of those "stereotypical" beliefs that you and others hold may not be as accurate as you would have the rest of us believe.

Have we ever actually understimated them, I don't know, would be interesting to hear others views but I think one thing they do exploit is the fact that we have confusing, uncertain and sometimes contradicting goals. They know they have all the time in the world and we don't so can afford to play the long game

Ord_Sgt said:
10 quid on wc not being able to help herself from wading in...

I tell you what, give me your address and I'll send you an envelope stuffed with 10 quids worth of old Guilders and Cents. They were still legal tender when you were serving, weren't they?

Yes.

Look at history. This is the THIRD attempt at "Trying to be in charge".

The ammount of money that is pouring in to afgoonistan from the british taxpayer you could give the averedge farmer in Helmland $2000 per year, without him ever leaving his compound.

$2000 buys the same as £40000 in the UK.

If we carry on (including the septics) pouring money in to the afgoonistan pit the local male should have at least $100,000 dollars (£2.000.000) in his pocket.
Local mayor =
Regional etc =
Karzai and palls =

But then the arabs expect the europeans to be so stupid.

After all, they have been for 3 hundred years.

Ord_Sgt said:

Changing tactics? Are you sure? Their tactics remain unchanged from 80's, from days of the Soviet invasion. And I can say you more, their tactics was essentially the same in 19th century and even in times of Alexander the Great.

How should we (I mean you) adopt to the situation? According to the principles of democracy the Afghans (including the Taleban) should be allowed to decide how to live in their country.

It is the only right solution.

meridian said:
Have we ever actually understimated them, I don't know, would be interesting to hear others views but I think one thing they do exploit is the fact that we have confusing, uncertain and sometimes contradicting goals. They know they have all the time in the world and we don't so can afford to play the long game

Iran-Contra interview tape 1987:

Q. "Did you not recently spend close to 60,000 USD for a home security system?"

A. "Yes, I did, sir."

Q. "Isn't that a little excessive?"

A. "No, sir."

Q. "No? And why not?"

A. "Because the lives of myself and my family were threatened, sir."

Q. "Threatened? By whom?"

A. "By terrorists, sir"

Q. By terrorists? What terrorist could possibly threaten you that much?"

A. "His name is bin Laden, sir"

Q. "And why are you so afraid of this man?"

A. "Because, sir, he is the most evil person alive that I know of."

Q. "And what do you recommend we do about him?"

A. "Well, sir, if it were up to me, I would recommend that an assassin team be formed to eliminate him and his group from the face of the Earth."