ARRSE is supported by the advertisements on it, so if you use an adblocker please consider helping us by starting an Ad-Free subscription.

Are we as good as we think? If so, why?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Bravo_Bravo, Apr 5, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sir Sir!! I spotted the mistake Sir!!

2. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

What does a Brigadier retire on these days may I ask? How much would one have to earn to have that sort of gold plated pension in other walks of life?

3. hotel_california

hotel_california LE Book Reviewer

As he posted that 5 years ago there is a very good chance that he may not answer.

4. Egg bangos and coffee sociables....followed by afel korn

5. If he'd been in an equivalent job outside he'd have been paid more in the first place. It's the 'gold-plated' pension that makes the salary bearable - at any rank.

• Like Like x 1
  6. You are right, the pay when I was in was sh8t, but the pension now is right handy

• Like Like x 1
  7. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    "But even more fascinating is the website of Barry Dunning recounting his exploits in the 10th Royal Hussars (Middle East Land Forces) in Aden in 1965, riding in a Saladin armoured car.

As a boy I recall this vehicle (illustrated). Built on the same chassis as the Saracen armoured personnel carrier, it was specifically designed for mine protection and could continue operating with any one wheel blown off by a mine. For their party trick, Alvis, the manufacturers, used to drive the vehicle round a test track on demonstrations, with one of the front wheels missing.

Anyhow, Dunning writes:

The 12th of September is a day I will never forget!! Coming back from Dhala we went on ahead to pick up the Infantry whom were up on the ridges (to cover the convoy through the wadi). We had just passed Mile Stone 36 when we hit two anti-tank mines and 25lb of plastic explosives. It picked the 14 tons of armoured car and threw us about 25 feet into the air, leaving a crater 30 foot wide and 10 foot deep. We were very lucky the armour did not split open as we were fully loaded with all our shells and bullets... It would have been a real fireworks display if they had gone off, and we were lucky no one was hurt.

[​IMG]Mick had a cut on his cheek where the Browning rounds wrapped around his face. Geordie hit his face on the front driver hatch as he was thrown forwards. It knocked him silly for a moment and he had a bloody nose. Because of the shock the medics could not take any chances with us so they flew us out on an Army Scout helicopter back to camp. The Saladin was brought back on a low loader."

8. What made you walk from your beloved SA?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Clearly written by a Brit who has self esteem issues.

10. What do the SA folk do?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.