Are Wayne Rooney and soccer Icons for Britian?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by BuggerAll, Jan 19, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Are Wayne Rooney and soccer icons for Britain? Seems to me that he and his pointless game epitomise everything thats awful in Chav Britain. Its not surprising that parts of society think its acceptable to cheat on thier benifit calims when they see thier sporting 'heros' cheating day in and day out on the pitch.

Its not surprising that punch ups and binge drinking are considered to be funny and cool when tw@ts like Rooney behave the way they do, and are encoraged by the media and thier employers.

2. Are you Margaret Thatcher? You are talking total bollox. Wheres your proof that "Chavs" use benifit to follow the countrys finest sport? Is this more middle class twaddle?

3. Oooh. Class war, class war, class war!!

4. I do wish the "working classes" would try an improve themselves as well as try and get more material products! My grandfather went from being the son of a labourer and the product of untold generations of labourers to Headmaster of a Grammar School. My father became MD of a major UK business, from a grammar school start although his university career was cut by the Second world war. Both were "cultured", musically talented. Neither liked soccer ball but both believed in the power of good hard physical exercise and team games.

5. Did he get a big hat?

6. i went to a class once, we learnt stuff an'everything

7. Where is Britian????????

Tazzer

8. Wayne rooney is a chav, you can take him out his crappy council estate and give loads of money, a mansion, fast cars, fine wine and food, but you can't take the Chav out of him :evil:

9. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I don't think it has anything to do with class. Soccer seems to infect across the board.

I used to work for the DWP on Jobseekers Allowance so I do know a fair amount about benifit fraud. My point was that it is not surprizing that some people think its ok to cheat on thier benifits when they see there sporting 'heros', like Rooney, cheating week in and week out. I never said they used the proceeds to follow soccer I don't know how you could have thought thats what I was saying - unless you did not read what I said.

But the cheating in society is not confined to benifit fraud, just look about you. Many people don't obey the rules, next time you go driving watch how many people commit minor driving offences and acts of dicourtiuos driving, look at the behavior of some youngsters...

I will admit that I find soccer about as interesting as a TV thats not plugged in, which is why I have always assumed it attracts such loutish behavior on and off the pitch - ie nothing interesting actually happens as part of the game. I'll accept that it is the UKs most popular sport, but not its finest. Rugby (either type), Cricket, Curling. Hockey are all way finer on all scores.

Perhaps if there was more sportsmanship in Soccer, we might live in a nicer society.

BTB Class war - Don't shoot 'till you see the whites of thier socks

10. But there are better players than Wayne 'Shrek-a-like' Rooney to focus on - just that their names don't get mentioned about in the papers as much as him. Alan Shearer for one - decent family man and good player; Michael Owen, Jamie Rednapp, Ryan Giggs, and so on also fit that desc too. Unfortunately, the game have been too dissolved with money, cheap slags, bigheaded arses and riches than actually winning, playing within the rules and enjoying the sport. Shame really.

11. Better players,Ryan Giggs??????? Jamie Rednapp???????,are you serious :roll: :roll:

12. Very fine players indeed - but Jamie Redknapp ?? You're having a laugh, a dirty cnut to boot.

13. And I am sure he can’t sleep at night because of it!!!!!!!!

Oh and by the way, I am sure I have read on occasion, certain of the so called Upper classes spending time at HMP for fraud and the like. Crime is not a monopoly of the working class. The higher the class the more elaborate and self justifying the case for the defence. :wink:

14. Rooney is no way worth what he's was paid for. No way. Under the title of 'good players and decent family man' - Redknapp and Giggs fit. I'm sure there are more to name as well!

15. That's not what you said,you said-"better players",not wanting to get into a row here,however, As much i also dislike shrek 2 as a person,on the field of play he is sublime,he is the only player England can/will win the world cup with,without him forget it.In the next few years Rooney WILL prove his worth. :!: :!: