Are They Any Good?

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by Booming_Through, Feb 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Maybe it's just the way they are commanded or maybe its not. :(

One thing is for certain though, on an individual level most of the blokes in these units are top notch ;)

However working for the AAC I have worked with both of these units quite a few times now, and they seem to do badly & ******* up pretty much everthing they do ??? ;D

Does anyone else have a diffrent story or do they get that impression too?

2. Why stop at the Kings and QLR?

Ive heard quite a lot of stories about them but I suspect that most of it is because they have a self-perpetuating reputation which, short of some demonstable contradiction, such as a battle or whatever (not likely) won't stop. its speculation really.

The QLR officers on my PCD were pretty good and I can't see that their soldiers are necessarily any worse than anyone elses. My own regt is well known for Glaswegian hardnuts and got banned from every officers mess in Germany ( nickname: The Fallingbostel Serbs)

The only crime the QLR and Kings have committed is being chippy english county regts with no class (good enough reason i think)

AT LEAST THEY'RE NOT TA !
    ;D

personally i nominate

42 Cdo - arrogant, shite, poor drills. now gone to the gulf the bastards
    Royal Scots - obviously
    PWO - chippy english county regiment
    WFRs - ditto  
    Green Howards - ditto

etc

3. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

Slagging of the QLR - very topical.... Has anyone seen the exceptionally amusing email ... with grovelling apology doing the rounds on ISIS at the moment?

If so post it (remember to protect the name of the guilty party)...

4. Not defending the QLR but when I have been in the shooting teams down at Bisley its usually between them and the Gurka's who take the trophies home

5. You can tell when a unit is cr4p because they excel in sports, shooting or something equally dull.

It shows that they obviously have too much time on their hands and can afford to let blokes go and do stuff that they're interested in, rather than training to be soldiers.

All that "track suit" soldier stuff maybe trendy for recruiting posters and unit morale, but it's entirely irrelevant in these days of overstretch.

You only have to look at 7 Really Arrse Hortillery and their "professional" rugby club to see where their priorities lie. No wonder they keep banging on about winning everything when they train 9 days a week

6. I hear you Oggy, last time I had a go at them for not being 'front line' (which they aren't) I got a load of cack back about how good they were at rugby.  Big f*****g deal......remfs!  (Less thier FOOs of course)

7. Oggy, pardon my ignorance and correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't marksmanship etc be encouraged, especially in an infantry unit.

The queens medal and queens 100 is a military style shoot, not just laying in the sun judging wind and uprooting daisies.

Don't get me wrong Im not defending the chaps with custard behind thier badges, I was merely making an observation regarding thier abilities to hit what they shoot at.

8. Ok, fair one, I'll lay off the shooting for a bit, but getting a bit dusty from a Bisley range is not a patch on doing live F&M with 7 stones of kit.

9. Ahhh, the good old Scottish East/West divide :) :)

You can carry all you like down an FF range, but it doesn't really impress unless you actually hit the target.

(PS You obviously haven't tried the Para Reg Cup match at 30C+ in the heat of a Bisley summer. I don't care how fit you are, you're still breathing through your arse by the end of it)

Competition shooting is a means to an end. It's a training vehicle. Ideally you end up with soldiers who can hit what they aim at, under pressure.

If you doubt the combat shooting matches, try doing one, then watch a good team do one, then ask yourself whether you wouldn't mind a lad in each section who can hit anything given a three-second exposure.

Personally, I'm a sad sod who's rather good at the daisy-picking variety of target shooting (hey, I do it in my own time), but then I'll group ten rounds to the equivalent size of a fig.12 at 900m, from the standing unsupported position...........

.....although I do need lots of poncy kit and a completely unrealistic rifle in order to do it.......

10. Gravelbelly wrote;

"You can carry all you like down an FF range, but it doesn't really impress unless you actually hit the target. "

By the same token, you can be the best shot in the world, but if you're one of the Lardies that are always excused PT, battle camps and all the other soldiering that comes with it because you're in the unit shooting team, you'll be no good in a battle situation.
    Just because you're a good shot, doesn't neccesarily mean you're also a good soldier.

Most soldiers are good shots and get tested regularly but only a few are excused unit training to go and do their hobby.

I'm not having a go at you personally GB, all soldiers should be encouraged to be more accurate and not have their scores swept under the carpet on APWTs because the units range time allocation has run out.

11. Agreed. The problems come when the competition becomes an end in itself, not a means to an end(Add "CO's hobbyhorse", and stir).

To their credit, the ARA are doing their best to improve shooting across the board. After all, they've

- changed the rules about team composition to force younger soldiers into teams, and to encourage turnover.

- changed the dress to combats, helmets, PLCE (from the old "weapon training order" days of trs lt wt, skeleton webbing, regtl headdress)

- changed the matches to add more physical elements (Para Reg Cup should be achievable by any trained soldier, but to do well you'll be grafting your arrse off :) )

- tried to encourage non-central, sub-unit wide shooting competitions.

My own thought is that the shooting team members whould be putting something back into a unit through being the skill-at-arms instructors / trainers. After all, we've all had the instructor who can do "strip, clean, assemble" with panache and style, but who struggles with "other fire positions" (say, teaching how to build a stable kneeling position that can be moved into quickly).

I'm strange, I enjoy coaching. No, not just the enthusiastic stars, but finding the worst shot in the firing point and figuring out WTF they're doing wrong....

...what's worrying is how many people who can halve their group size in any given position by just improving one basic thing.....

12. Isn't shooting and fitness what being in the infantry is all about?

13. "Isn't shooting and fitness what being in the infantry is all about?"

Yes it is, but if a soldier misses out on ITD's, battle camps and pre operational training because he's always in a tracksuit, what use is that?

14. I hear you Oggy, last time I had a go at them for not being 'front line' (which they aren't) I got a load of cack back about how good they were at rugby. Big f*****g deal......remfs! (Less thier FOOs of course)

15. bundle, for a cadet, your up late. Stop trashing all the sensible posts and do one will you?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.