• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Are there many skinny guys in training?

Im 19, 6ft and weigh about 127 poinds, am I too skinny to join the army? Ive always been skinny and tall and always struggled to gain weight, i was wondering if there are many skinny guys in the army? The one thing that puts me off joining is that im skinny and will be the only skinny guy in training.

There'll be all shapes and sizes, don't sweat it. You may find some things hard because of it, but we all have a weakness that'll come out in training.
Mine was having the sexual magnetism of George Clooney.

I knew a guy so small his ammo pouches met at the belt buckle. Bloody good soldier though.

Good luck with your career if you pursue it.

It's possibly a matter of what you want to do but having said that as a skinny guy you will not really fit in with the RLC whatever they are offering these days.

As said all shapes and sizes.

If it bothers you and you want to put some beef on then drink bodybuilder high protein milkshakes and do some gentle bodybuilding.

4, or 5 days a week concentrate on a different body zone every day: Arms; legs; chest/torso; stomach. Each session should only take around 40 - 50 minutes and you will soon put on some beef. Plenty of good informative videos on youtube.

I gently, not nastily, call my 15 year old 'stickboy', he is 5'10" and by following a similar regime to the above he has put on 12lbs and some muscle inches over the summer and is at around 8% bodyfat. I will state I was not happy with a 15 year old doing weights but, the trainers at the gym he goes to look after him and will not let him overdo it - a few of his mates from school go there too so they are used to catering for the teen's as body beautiful and beefing up is a thing here in the USA. (For the worriers; trust me the way the drug/steroid culture is here we discretely check his room regularly, not that $10 a week would get him far).

Three months have made a noticeable difference to his size and he is asking for the next size up of t-shirts he still looks like a refugee, but a slightly better fed one. He says he want to look like Thor.

When I did basic in Helles Barracks (11 Sigs) back in 1991, I was 70 Kg, or 11 and a bit stone in weight, so rather slim, and also unfit compared to a lot of my fellow recruits. Much more unfit than I thought I was. But when I finished basic, I could do pull-ups, dips and the like for fun and couldn't fail a BFT if I tried. And I was still 70 Kg when I got turfed out for being a bit of a spanner. If you're prepared to work at it, you will get fitter, and you may not put on any weight, you'll just see your weight in fat change to muscle.

When I did basic (albeit TA) I was 9 and a half stone and 5 foot 10 tall.. Skinniest runt on the course, then skinniest runt in the Battalion. BUT, I could run a BFT for shits n giggles and soon developed the knack for tabbing with a bergan on for a CFT.

Put it this way , you rarely see a fat infantryman.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
It used to be that you would lose fat and gain muscle in training, I forget the actual figures, but more fat was lost on average and about 2 kilos of muscle gained. But nothing wrong with being thin if you can do the job. I was 9 stone seven pounds on joining and stayed like that for years,

It's possibly a matter of what you want to do but having said that as a skinny guy you will not really fit in with the RLC whatever they are offering these days.
These items are now on issue to RLC recruits who don't measure up to the Corps aesthetic requirements.
Baby-Mama-Pregnancy-Stomach-for-Men.jpg

Pob02

LE
Book Reviewer
I was 8 1/2 stone wet when I first rocked up, not long befoe my 18th birthday.

Those that know me now will confirm a very different tale of the tape these days.

Do not worry, all sorts of shapes and sizes join up.

fat finger typos editted

Last edited:
Judging by what you said your measurements are your BMI is 17 - underweight. I believe they check BMI in your medical so do as others have said gain that weight.

Ive been trying to gain weight the past 2 weeks and think ive gained about 1-2 pounds. What foods are cheap and easy to gain weight fast? I dont really know how to cook so basic stuff the better really.

Ive been trying to gain weight the past 2 weeks and think ive gained about 1-2 pounds. What foods are cheap and easy to gain weight fast? I dont really know how to cook so basic stuff the better really.
If youre being serious some shakes would be good. Theres an 80% clearance on myprotein at the moment I believe. Add them on top of your normal daily meals to increase your intake.

I use Musclefood for meals too. I like their stir fry and curry meals. All you have to do is empty contents in a pan and stuff inside a wrap after or plonk on top of a microwave bag of rice. They also do ready meals; 4-5mins in a microwave straight from frozen but both these options arent that cheap. Look for deals. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

I was 6ft 1 and 10 stone when I went to Lympstone, I averaged at about 11 stone after training and after my JWT in Brunei I was the fittest that I have ever been but weighed 10.5 stone, you could count my ribs. Nothing wrong with being skinny, it's less weight to run around with.
I only bulked up when I left, and now I am about 2.5 - 3 minutes a mile slower on runs.

I'm 6'1". When I joined in 1984 I weighed about 9 and a half stone but i could run like a f'kin deer. I got better at the weight carrying. I'd rather be a bit under weight than a bit overweight in training any day. The extra muscle will arrive due course. Go for it.

Joined the infantry as a boy soldier at 15 years of age, went into 1RGJ at 17 years of age and left when I was 21 years of age.

I was never much over 9 stone for the whole time of my service.

Latest Threads