Are there any pacifists here?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Spot_the_Dog, Jan 2, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was wondering if there were any pacifists on this forum? I certainly am one now, after a pretty poor holiday to Bosnia in 95.

I do support our troops 110% and what they are doing, but would like to see a world at peace, something we strived for in the former Yugoslavia, and my grandparents in the 1914-18 and 1938-45 unpleasantness. Not forgetting our current engagements.

2. Some Greek philosopher said, "Only the dead have seen the end of war."

Human nature, I'm afraid. As long as there are people who can hold some kind of weapon, there will always be wars.

3. I think my Granddad was out in the Pacific during the 2nd World War.

4. Oh.

Thanks.

5. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

That would be Plato old boy.

[​IMG]

6. Bud, can you define 'pacifist'?
    Or what it means to you, exactly?
    It may just help you not to be publicly shagged sideways with the jagged end of a ragman's bugle...
    Or not, as the case may be.

7. Oh right.. well I mean I know as a former soldier war was our trade, that's not in question. What my outlook now is a different approach, i.e why not negotiate with the taliban? Or even Osama? Ok they may be fanatics who just will not reason, but aren't we just as fanatical at killing them? It just seems a strange world we live in, 5000 children die every day from hunger and starvation, and yet we launch a massive 'war on terror' for 3000 office workers killed in a day.

but like I said, I 110% support our troops, and they are my primary concern. We seem to be losing alot of 18 year old soldiers at the moment, and you can hardly say 'they lived.' It's so completely tragic.

8. Most of the funerals in the last twenty years I've been to have been for very young soldiers; the sad nature of war dictates that those fighting and dying tend to be young

"They shall not grow old, as we that are left grow old..."

It will never change.

9. Thanks; I was too "tired and emotional" to remember(three day weekend, and I don't intend to be sober for any one of them).

10. I rest my case.

Much as I agree with some of what you say, this ain't the right forum, bud. Good luck. Out.

11. Sadly true. I wish they would up the combat age to 21, ok so we start losing 21 year olds, and 'no' its totally impracticle and unworkable, but at least they would have lived a bit.

12. I am a rabid pass-a-fist. Thanks for asking.

13. You are probably right, probably the worst place to put this up. But again, just for the record, I totally support our troops on tours at the moment.

14. Zakly wot 'e sed!

15. Attributed to Voltaire, but actually from a biographer of the Frog,

"I may not agree with what you say, but i will defend unto the death your right to say it"