Are the Turks about to pull a Lebanon?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by castlereagh, Aug 25, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. You have to laugh at that partnership!

Kirkuk referendum coming up, could the Turks be trying to force Kurdish and American hands over the Turcoman population who do not want to join up with the Kurds?
  2. Interesting info. Thanks.

What would our American friends do in the case of full-scale Turkish/Iranian invasion in the Nothern Kurdistan? Only God knows.
  3. Iran has apparently been offering support for Turkish operations against the Kurdish PKK militia.

Iran has apparently thus sought Turkish rejection of US overtures for bases with which to strike Iran.

Iran previously has apparently gone so far as to shell PKK positions in Iraq.

Sean McCormack, spokesman for the U.S. State Department, said on Tuesday that U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice looked forward to visiting Turkey.
    Speaking at a daily press briefing, McCormack said that itinerary of Rice's planned visits to Turkey and Greece would be made public soon.

Upon a question about the terrorist organization PKK, McCormack said, ''our military forces work very closely with Iraqi forces. I know that they have also a dialogue with the Turkish government on these issues. We go after terrorist organizations wherever they may be based and that includes Iraq.''

When asked, ''the Iranian Ambassador to Ankara urged Turkey, Iran and Syria to form a kind of joint policy on the Kurdish issue saying, in an interview, that if they did not, the U.S. would carve pieces from them for a Kurdish state. How do you view that?'' Mccormack said, ''with respect to Turkey's territorial integrity, certainly we have spoken to that. With respect to the territorial integrity of other countries, we have spoken to those issues as well.''

"Mccormack: Rice Looks Forward To Visiting Turkey" 30 April 2006

Iraq has accused Iranian forces of entering Iraqi territory and shelling Kurdish rebel positions in the north.

It said the Iranians targeted the PKK, a Kurdish group that has waged a 15-year insurgency against Turkey.

The PKK is believed to have links with anti-Iranian Kurdish fighters. There are no details on casualties.

"Iran 'attacks Iraq Kurdish area'" 30 April 2006

It will be instructive to observe just how much indignation or concrete action, on the part of the US government, Turkish air strikes against Kurdish Iraq generate.

If the US government's official reaction goes no further than a brief spate of obligatory tongue-clucking then perhaps we can infer the possibility that a deal has been struck.
  4. Relations between the Turks and the US are certainly cooler and I think even without the Iranian reversal on the Kurds, the Turks would not have been willing to let US forces attack Iran from their bases.

I could be wrong but I think the Turks are beginning to loosen from their westward/European fixation and are beginning to see that central Asia and the Middle East are of equal or if not more importance.

I agree but given that the North is now the only place that the Americans could have a long term presence. I think they are going to find it increasingly hard to balance both Kurdish and Turkish interests against their own.
  5. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Interesting, I was half joking with a Turkish colleague the other day asking, 'Are you ready to change your script back to Arabic rather than that Roman nonsense of Ataturk?'
  6. What and forsake the purity of the sun language? Never! :wink:
  7. Where were Your quotes from, Castle
  8. I do think that we "westerners' do not apreaciat the Turk's feelings over Kurdistan or the formation of a Kurdish State on Turkeys SE border.
    US foriegn policy in this area is a disgrace and Iran is the benifactor, even though the Arab basically does not like the Aryian Shite.
  9. Why do I get the feeling that GW doesnt understand a damn thing about what is going on?
  10. Heh. I think some rather large gentlement riding tanks might have something to say about that before it happened. :)
  11. With Turkey being a NATO member, how will that gel with American forces in northern Iraq. If the Iranians attack, and say the US Military claims that it has been attacked, Turkey has to come to the aid of its NATO partner.

We're all doomed.
  12. I dont see an Iranian invasion of northern Iraq. It would give the US justification to strike Iran which Tehran doesnt want at all. Besides any ground operation into Iraq without air cover is doomed to fail as the uS/UK have full control over the air space.

A Turkish invasion of northern Iraq would be very dicey politically and militarily for both Turkey and the US. It might precipitate a coup as the Turkish militarily does not want to fight the US. The US and the Iraqi government are working hard to crack down on the PKK to avoid a confrontation with Turkey.
  13. The story is from the Italian press agency adnkronos, I hope that is what you meant.

There is no question of a pre-emptive Iranian invasion of Northern Iraq over the Kurds.

From what I have read, it seems it is actually the military who want to blow the Kurds to smithereens. You also have to remember that relations between the Turkish military and the US have cooled significantly since the Iraqi invasion, primarily over the Kurds.
    On whether the Kurds and the US are doing all they can about the PKK and other anti-Turkish groups. The constant anger stemming from Ankara would suggest, no.
  14. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

I don't see why, Ataturk was in the closet in more than one way as far as I'm hunch is he had a penchant for being Byzantine. His looking west while being the current moda amongst the native chattering class is by know means at saturation point/critical mass amongst the people (no I don't have a stat on that before you ask!). It takes more than the middle and ruling class to hold a country, as any Iranian exile will tell between sips of pina colada and episodes of desperate housewives.
  15. Preparation for Operation Northern freedom continues a pace. The Turks send more troops down to the border in light of the recent bombings.

Turkey sharpens response to upsurge in Kurd violence
    From CS monitor
    Turkey is marshaling forces along its border with Iraq as diplomatic efforts have done little to curb a separatist Kurdish group using bases in Iraq to launch attacks against Turkish forces.

The Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) has also been accused of being behind several bombings throughout Turkey. Monday two people died and at least seven others were injured in a blast in Turkey's Mediterranean city Antalya. It came hours after three bombs went off in the resort town of Marmaris injuring 21 and another blast Sunday in Istanbul that injured six people.

There were no immediate claims of responsibility but local Marmaris officials said they suspected the outlawed PKK was involved in at least those blasts
    The attacks, if proven to have been carried out by the PKK, illustrates the strength of the group Ankara had hoped would have been quashed when the United States military invaded neighboring Iraq in 2003, which the PKK uses as a base of operations. But to the Turks' frustration, the war in Iraq seems to have only emboldened the group as fellow Iraqi Kurds just over the border have grown stronger and more autonomous since the invasion..