Are the Royal Marines wearing an American Uniform?

Who gives a flying **** what the Bootnecks and the Jarheads wear? I'm Army through and through and I wear Khaki, not Lovat Green or some other abomination. There's an old joke about the Booties, isn't there? A lad walks into his local recruiting office and tells the Staff Sergeant behind the desk that he'd like to join the Army. 'Sure Son. What part of the Army would you like to join?' 'Do I get a choice?' 'Come with me Son, the Royal Marines are next door.'

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Hee love it ...but while he's on, .ask Chappie who actually WON the encounter pictured at 2:12 ?.......If I'm not mistaken the painting portrays the action between HMS SHANNON and the USS Chesapeake.......

Captain Broke brought Shannon alongside Chesapeake and ordered the two ships lashed together to enable his crew to board Chesapeake. Confusion and disarray reigned on the deck of Chesapeake; Captain Lawrence tried rallying a party to board Shannon, but the bugler failed to sound the call.[81] At this point a shot from a sniper mortally wounded Lawrence; as his men carried him below, he gave his last order: "Don't give up the ship. Fight her till she sinks."During the exchange of cannonfire 362 shots struck Chesapeake, while only 158 hit Shannon.

Captain Broke boarded Chesapeake at the head of a party of 20 men. They met little resistance from Chesapeake's crew, most of whom had run below deck. The only resistance from Chesapeake came from her contingent of marines. The British soon overwhelmed them; only nine escaped injury out of 44.[85] Captain Broke was severely injured in the fighting on the forecastle, being struck in the head with a sword. Soon after, Shannon's crew pulled down Chesapeake's flag. Only 15 minutes had elapsed from the first exchange of gunfire to the capture.[86][87]

Reports on the number of killed and wounded aboard Chesapeake during the battle vary widely. Broke's after-action report from 6 July states 70 killed and 100 wounded.[88] Contemporary sources place the number between 48–61 killed and 85–99 wounded.[89][90] Discrepancies in the number of killed and wounded are possibly caused by the addition of sailors who died of their wounds in the ensuing days after the battle.[91] The counts for Shannon have fewer discrepancies with 23 killed; 56 wounded.[92] Despite his serious injuries, Broke ordered repairs to both ships and they proceeded on to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Captain Lawrence died en route and was buried in Halifax with military honors. The British imprisoned his crew. Captain Broke survived his wounds and was later made a baronet.[93][94]
...you might also let him know that the Corps had been in existence just over a hundred years before his colony was graciously granted its Independence by His Late Majesty King George :)

When asked what the initials on their shoulder slides stand for when on swap drafts at Quantico, the standard RM response is: " Real Marine".....

You might also ask him where the Devil Dogs were on 24th August 1814......ooops

" From the Halls of Montezo-o-o-o-oma to the Shores of Tripoli'....but let's not mention BLADENSBURG

The battle was termed "the greatest disgrace ever dealt to American arms" and "the most humiliating episode in American history."[18] The American militia actually fled through the streets of Washington. President James Madison and most of the rest of the federal government had been present at the battle, and had nearly been captured. They too fled the capital, and scattered through Maryland and Virginia. That same night the British entered Washington unopposed and set fire to many of the government buildings in what became known as the Burning of Washington.
...okay 5A...bring it on ! :)

Remember how the US copied the idea of having a marine corps from Britain?

And an Air Force?

Just point out that their first Army CoS and President was a "Colonel of the Virginia Regiment and Commander in Chief of all forces now raised in the defense of His Majesty's Colony"

In the film The Incredible Hulk with Edward Norton as Bruce Banner , Liv Tyler as Elizabeth Ross and William Hurt as General 'Thunderbolt' Ross and Tim Roth playing Captain Emil Bronsky (later becoming the Aboniable Thing ) as a Royal Marine officer 'on loan to SOCOM' . I guess Hollywood could not find a British uniform as such as he is strictly an exchange officer and should not be wearing a US Army SF one!

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
In the film The Incredible Hulk with Edward Norton as Bruce Banner , Liv Tyler as Elizabeth Ross and William Hurt as General 'Thunderbolt' Ross and Tim Roth playing Captain Emil Bronsky (later becoming the Aboniable Thing ) as a Royal Marine officer 'on loan to SOCOM' . I guess Hollywood could not find a British uniform as such as he is strictly an exchange officer and should not be wearing a US Army SF one!
You write this over two years after a bad thread died a decent death and yet you wear a human skin without the slightest hint of shame...

The picture, if there was one, is missing. :? This thread probably didn't deserve resurrection as Hollywood routinely gets it wrong about clothing, weapons, etc. when they try to do a war movie.

Latest Threads