Are the "How to Become..." products of any help?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by winchester1187, Feb 24, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've no idea to be honest? But they look crap. The Army doesn't expect you to know everything, and will teach you all you need to know.

With regards to the AOSB, the careers offcie should give you all you need to know, and advice beforehand.

I'd like to hear if anyone has bought these........

2. I have not brought any of them but I have seen/used some of them.

The s/t/d booklet is ok, it can help people who need help in that area. The plan ex's they have are SH*T!! they are full of spelling errors and mistakes that render them useless!

If you can get them for free then give it a go, if not DON'T waste your money on it!

3. The author is Richard McMunn. Check his background on Amazon.
    4 Years RN aged 16 - 20 as aero engineer rating, 17 years Fire Service working through the ranks.
    Has written gazillions of "How to become" books, and made quite a few quid on the way.
    I was entirely under-impressed, if not a little envious of the few quid. Why didn't I think of that.

Old Rat

4. Looking at these things on amazon, etc, it looks like he is completely unqualified to advise anyone on becoming an army officer.

5. Also, how much can such a pack help you? It is my understanding that AOSB are looking at (perhaps amongst other things) character, intellect and coolness under pressure. Character is character - you are explicitly told at Briefing and Main Board to not try to be somebody you're not, as they'll see through it. Intellect, again, is what it is. There are plenty of resources around to help with mental arithmetic if that's a weak point, plenty of plan exes (just search on here), books on psychometric tests etc. Coolness under pressure isn't going to come from reading a pack either.

I would say the best preparation you can do is to target it to your weaknesses and use resources available - there's plenty out there, but I think a lot of what they're looking for is innate, which no pack will help you with.

6. udipur

udipur LE Book Reviewer

I reviewed three of his books for the site - Join the Army/RN/RAF

General impression was that 2/3 was the same throughout and a lot was on being a decent sort who turns up in a clean shirty.

However, if you have the square root of bugger all experience of military life, they might be interesting.

Personally, I would spend your time talking to others who have been in, reviewing the threads on this site and be prepared to make a tit of yourself. Then you'll fit right in.

7. Fam visits!

Spot on! Hands up who had at least one amusing and embarrassing fall? After crashing off a rope I had been dangling off some some time, on a command task:

DS: "No. 18, what rule are you breaking?"
    Me (thinking): "How about I've fallen off the rope like a tit, and am lying on the ******* floor? Sir!"

8. tbc

tbc Swinger

Whilst jumping a barrier (running at full tilt) on the closing race, I managed to get one leg over, and one leg under said barrier. Luckily my my testes acted as a rudimentary crumple-zone. The deputy president chuckled rather loudly at that.

9. Winchester, Take my advice!!!!!!! (I'm a fellow Hampshire gentleman myself)

For Plan ex
    look at http://www.arrse.co.uk/regular-officer-recruiting/139975-planning-exercise-download-links.html

For Character, just join a club (hockey, rugby, football ect), and be yourself. You could look into body language and things like holding hands behind your back means your more confident than someone who shields their manhood ect (However I don't advise being subconsciously aware of such things)

For Verbal/Numerical/Abstract part of the MentalAPtitude test look online at "UKcat tests", remember TIME is the enemy in these tests.

Best Regards,

10. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

11. QUESTION: Are they any good?

ANSWER: NO.

Honestly. Spent a fair few quid on these, most of the stuff in my 'deluxe' package was not relevent to AOSB MB. I haven't looked at the Planning Ex's yet.

But just a waste of money, concocted by a charlatan with very tenuous links to the army.