Are the forthcoming Euro-elections relevant

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I have just received my postal voting forms for the Euro-elections for the North-West and notice with I interest that a certain Robinson, Tommy is a candidate. While this vile piece of humanity stands no chance of receiving a vote from Casa Smeg, a thought comes to mind; are the Euro-elections relevant now, considering the people voted to leave.

Do you believe England should be allowed a vote or should we burn our ballot papers as a final act of defiance against Brussels.

I hadn't noticed we'd left yet, perhaps giving the main parties a good kicking might refresh their memory

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I hadn't noticed we'd left yet, perhaps giving the main parties a good kicking might refresh their memory
Of course we haven't left yet, but as we should have left over a month ago, do you feel we should vote or not?

Like it or not, the EU, elections are going to be viewed through the prism of a second referendum. If you want to register a brexit vote, vote for an avowedly out party and vice versa.
It's this where these elections hold any relevance.

Of course we haven't left yet, but as we should have left over a month ago, do you feel we should vote or not?
Vote, if losing MEPs doesn't focus their minds about the general election we're doomed

Absolutely yes you should vote.

If you are a Leaver then the Brexit party is the obvious (only) choice IMHO.

If you are a Remainer who has accepted the democratic will of the people. then I suggest you also should vote Brexit party, if only to register your dismay at the blatant ignoring of democracy by the HoC/Government.

If you are a Remainer who thinks that they can still overturn the will of the people, then you have several splinter-type parties to vote for (or you can suspend your thinking processes and follow that Gina Miller tactical voting website).

mrdude

War Hero
Yes you should vote - and if you believe in Democracy, you should vote for the Brexit party.

I hope that the Brexit party cleans up, and also that across Europe loads of other right wing party's also take lots of seats in the EU - then they can cripple Brussels from within and make the EU irrelevant - Karma is a bitch!

I'm slowly but surely getting the impression that given a GE is literally years away, that this latest instalment of the punch and judy show known as democracy is a way to stop the REAL thing the govt fears, which is essentially a more violent version of the yellow vest protests.

That being said I will vote, probably for BP purely to play my very small part in showing my contempt at the current two-party, same heads of the same hydra system, but I don't expect it to change the outcome. This I believe will be a years-long "negotiation" and ratification process that will cynically see a lot of the leave voters pass away before the call for a second ref.

Last edited:
How else can the electorate, regardless of Remain or Leave preference, register a protest against the 'We said Brexit means Brexit and we'll honour the referendum result' Conservative party and against the 'we'll Leave and Remain at the same time because we haven't a clue' Labour Party.

Whether we should Remain or Leave, our elected parliamentarians of every stripe have let the nation down in a way that would be quite unbelievable had we not seen it with our own eyes.

As a side note, if the craven wretch, Mrs May has some ulterior plan to Remain by endless prevarication, endless meaningful meaningless votes and endless other roads to nowhere, then not getting utterly dicked in the EU election would be beneficial to her credibility.

Yes... we should vote in the upcoming EU election.

Burning your poll card, ballot paper, has no value, go to the poling station, and write something withering, succinct, and to the point across the ballot paper, it becomes a spoilt vote, and indicates to the counters, and the inspecting officer, that Joe public is sick to the back teeth with the whole 3 ring circus, and the gross ineptitude, mind-set and will of the overpaid inhabitants of the Westminster gas works. In the last vote, so many were spoilt, (31,000 Appx ) that it made national headlines, and sent a stark message to the candidates, and their respective parliamentary bosses. doing the same again will convey the same message again, that some, more than others could not give a frogs fart about electing anyone into the pigs trough of Brussels.

Waz

Old-Salt
If we're being forced to stay in against our will, then we should have a say-so from within until we are allowed to leave.

Blogg

LE
Absolutely.

The reason the Government (and other Remainers) have been so desperate to prevent the EU elections is that it is acting for many as a de facto second referendum and one in which the usual suspects are very likely to get their arrses handed to them and end up with another result they just don't want to see.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
RIP
Spoilt ballot papers are a wasted vote.

They are absolutely relevant if they go ahead. I personally didn’t expect this country to be taking part in them at all, but thanks to our elected numbnuts failing to implement the wish of the majority, we appear to have no choice.
I keep hearing failed Politicians such as Cable and Soubry suggesting the country is now heavily in favour of staying in the EU. The sight of Cable and some of his EU mates showing off Bollocks to Brexit placards yesterday was offensive and disgusting in my opinion. Well, this is an opportunity for us to give them a very strong message that they are the ones talking bollocks (as per).
If you are of the same opinion, don’t spoil your ballot paper, as that could be interpreted differently - put a firm cross in the box next to the Brexit Party and send a loud and resounding “**** you” to Westminster!

They are absolutely relevant if they go ahead. I personally didn’t expect this country to be taking part in them at all, but thanks to our elected numbnuts failing to implement the wish of the majority, we appear to have no choice.
I keep hearing failed Politicians such as Cable and Soubry suggesting the country is now heavily in favour of staying in the EU. The sight of Cable and some of his EU mates showing off Bollocks to Brexit placards yesterday was offensive and disgusting in my opinion. Well, this is an opportunity for us to give them a very strong message that they are the ones talking bollocks (as per).
If you are of the same opinion, don’t spoil your ballot paper, as that could be interpreted differently - put a firm cross in the box next to the Brexit Party and send a loud and resounding “**** you” to Westminster!
"Vince "the man who predicted the crash" Cable" - fk right off.

I was watching the council elections live, the limps went from their normal "retired teacher" demeanour to smug bastards in about 5 seconds as soon as results starting coming in.

"Vince "the man who predicted the crash" Cable" - fk right off. I was watching the council elections live, the limps went from their normal "retired teacher" demeanour to smug bastards in about 5 seconds as soon as results starting coming in.
I’m hopeful they’ll not look as smug after the EU elections.

How else can the electorate, regardless of Remain or Leave preference, register a protest against the 'We said Brexit means Brexit and we'll honour the referendum result' Conservative party and against the 'we'll Leave and Remain at the same time because we haven't a clue' Labour Party.

Whether we should Remain or Leave, our elected parliamentarians of every stripe have let the nation down in a way that would be quite unbelievable had we not seen it with our own eyes.

As a side note, if the craven wretch, Mrs May has some ulterior plan to Remain by endless prevarication, endless meaningful meaningless votes and endless other roads to nowhere, then not getting utterly dicked in the EU election would be beneficial to her credibility.

Yes... we should vote in the upcoming EU election.
Point of order PMTM doesn't have any credibility, she's only there because no other Tory wants her job yet, no one really believes she'd doing a good job (outside of Brussels)

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Spoilt ballot papers are a wasted vote.
Normally I would agree with you, but had we left the EU when we should have done, we wouldn't be having this discussion. There should be no need for Britain to vote for MEPs as Britain will not be a member of the EU.

For me it's not really a question of their relevance, its my chance to exercise my democratic right. I didn't cast my vote in the local elections as I wouldn't give my support to any of the parties standing. This time, my postal vote got a big fat X in the BREXIT party box.

The way I look at it is people died to give me the right to cast my vote, and I should really do it for them, if not for anyone else. I feel pretty shit about not voting in the LE.

Yes - its still relevant.

Latest Threads