Are TA Members Employable in Blair's Britain?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by maninblack, Sep 22, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

It is a simple question. If the TA continues to be abused both in terms of deployments and verbally by "ministry spokemen" will members become unemployable in the civilian world?

Why would an employer take on someone who is going to be picking sand out of their sandwiches one year in three?

What do the jury think?
  2. Certainly small employers will struggle with this.
  3. I think the only employers who "might" accept this in the long term are the Government itself. i.e. civil servants.

As for the rest, maybe one deployment, then byeee... ( I know that there may be a whole raft of antidiscrimination legislation to stop this, but Human Resources are cunning)
  4. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Blokes I've worked with have spoken of a number of employers who have in the past forbidden their employees from joining the TA, the Prison Service and the Met are just two that spring to mind.
    I don't know if this is still the case, but I can see it becoming a standard part of the small print in future employment contracts.
  5. from my unit i know one guy lost his job after telic 1 .Another guy a teacher had a lot of grief from his employer .another guy got alot of hassle
    but mainly as works as bodyguard with lot of ex paras etc they were jelouses :lol: .Myself did one tour ok but wife would go ballistic if i had to do another one maybein agood few years but not 12months after getting back from one .
  6. The Met has set a maximum number of people who can be in the reserve forces at anyone time. If you want to appy you have to go on awaiting list. The waiting time is about 2 years at the momment.

7. An acquaintance who is ex-TA himself has admitted that he wouldn't hire a deployable TA person; he's a partner in a smallish firm. Mind you, he says the same of recently-married women of childbearing age......

Your current employer may not sack you. But you can bet that promotion, or the ability to get another job, will be affected by having TA on your CV. SaBRE can say all it likes about the benefits of reservists, but effectively making them 3/4 part-timers in their chosen career outweighs all of that.

I'm still livid about that moron of a "senior officer" quoted in that Telegraph article..........
  8. A recent paper (NOTAL) suggested that 37% of deployed TA troops post Telic/deployment left the TA. Add the 30% general annual grind and there will be no TA in a few years. Brig Richard Holmes (TA & TV presenter for them that don't know) stated that if the TA fell to below 50K pax it would crash.

All those ex regs who secured bloody good jobs with the TA as PSAO's and NRPS after decrying the TA all their 22 had better look to their laurels.

The best TA recruiter is a satisfied soldier, the best TA demotivator is a wife/family screaming that the rent/mortgage has not been paid due to being unemployed! Regs are self deluding halfwits who have no comprehension of what the TA is or is about and do not really want to know in the 2 1/2 years they do with us if they cannot get short toured..

Most thing wrong with the TA?, the regs who live in the head shed.

Before any gets the wrong end of the reg bashing stick, I did reg service and have been in the TA for over 27 years. Bit of experience in constantly seeing the regs re-invent the wheel to solve what they see as the TA problem. Bottom line, its about mutual respect and money (budget and pay) One Army concept for ever!!! (Except now!)

OK, who's up to try and defend then?
  9. I worked with Territorial Army soldiers for the first time on Operation Telic and was extremely impressed. What they lacked in training they more than made up for in enthusiasm. They also brought additional skills from their civilian careers that no soldier could ever provide. In the complex world of Iraqi nation building those skills proved invaluable.

Speaking to many Territorial soldiers it was clear employers would not be the only ones unhappy about constant call ups. Aside from the personal or relationship problems, while away from their jobs it is colleagues who pick up the promotion; their careers meanwhile stagnates. Not only will an employer fail to employ a Reservist, but I suspect they will not promote them into key roles given they could disapear for almost a year at only three to four weeks notice. Being in the business to make money, you can hardly blame them; they are not charities after all.

The solution? A larger, better funded Army perhaps...? But that would just be silly...
  10. Blitzkrieg Bop, thanks for your positive comments. It's good to see some of us STABs exceeded expectations.

A couple of points on other posts. The Met have a quota because reserve call ups override police work. therefore in the case of a national emergency (remember, thats when the government is supposed to be calling us up :roll: ), it would make the role of policing London in the blitz that much more difficult if half the bobbies got called up to go and fight Johnny Foreigner.

My soapbox topic for today, as you'll see in another thread, is the way the TA is viewed by employers. At the moment the TA is negative for employers. If their employee isnt called up then it is entirely inconsequential for his boss that he is the TA. If he does get called up then the employer has loads of hassle. If you turn that around and say to the employer that it is in his interest to employ reservists (I'm no expert but tax breaks, reduced national insurance contributions etc might be a possibility) then just as regs say to us 'youve been taking the bounty for years. Nows the time to pay it back with a tour' employers would be less likely to grumble if after years of improving their bottom line by employing us we had to pop off for a few months to sandier climes.
  11. Anyone notice the TA Officer Direct Entry ads in the papers?

"Join the TA and we'll drag you out of your already flat Civvy management structure at the most inopportune times."
  12. My current employer detests the fact i am in the TA and has asked me to re-think my comitments a few times, his biggest gripe is being called up to back up the army doing peacetime roles and general back up for the Regular shortfall of bodies. He had no problem with a wartime call up and is not anti TA by any means.

IMO the TA will all but disappear in 5 years as more and more employers will not tolerate compulsory mobilisation every 3 or so years.
  13. Shorter Tours

Get more people through the system,spread the load on the Regs , us and Employers.
  14. The solution is simple. To get employers and spouses to support compulsory mobilisation in peacetime it must only be used for major crises that enjoy widespread public support.

Please note my qualifiers in the above sentence. Individuals will always volunteer in peacetime (my unit had 5 to 10% mobilised prior to Sept 11th), callouts for a real threat to the UK will enjoy popular support.

The current rolling callouts are perceived as the Government (who are getting less popular by the day) doing things on the cheap at the expense of Reservist's families and employers. That does not affect the reservist's liability - it does affect whether or not they will stay around to be mobilised. The average Regular doesn't understand this - and having never had a civilian career (mostly) who can blame them ?

Some of the problem I'm sure is Regulars deciding that if they have to suffer then so should the TA. Short term it fills the gap but long term you lose your war reserve. Then again some is the reluctance of our management to admit that the cupboard is finally empty.

There is perhaps a light at the end of the tunnel in that if the financial assistance proposals are implemented the cost of compulsorily mobilising a reservist in peacetime will increase substantially. I'm not so much thinking of the pay aspect as the bills industry will submit for putting a temp in for six months.
  15. Its almost decision time for TA personnel. One has always had to keep in mind ones employment, so if it is now under threat, should one still be in the TA?

It applied to me and my decision was to stay. I unfortunately lost a well paid job as a result.