Are Staff College students deployable?

Then why am I hearing reports from BIA of 'individuals' trying to get out to the desert for a 'six-week summer holiday medal-grabbing' tour?

Captain_Crusty

War Hero
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Maybe they could conduct a relief in place and give me a six week holiday back in the UK. I'd be happy to give them my medal as I'll undoubtedly be allowed another go in the next couple of years...

I couldn't agree more now that the weather is hotting-up, but speak to the G1 types and this is an issue that is p*ssing people off. How do you stop it? If I'm stagging on for six months, I don't want to see medal-grabbers from Staff College acclimatising, sightseeing then going home. Maybe the Sgts Mess need to get to know about this. Then something can be done!

I shouldn't worry too much about the medal-grabbing bit, though - by the time Op Telic 436 has happened, everybody will have the gong anyway.

This sounds like NI in the 70's. The GSM62 gong became a "completed basic training medal" and we got to the stage where we were promised only one 4 month tour every year (broken) and guaranteed standdown after 18 month tour (broken). On the other hand you were guaranteed a job that would give you a pension....... - its starting to sound familiar, i am getting unpleasant flashbacks - could it be PTSD (Post Tour Shortly Deployed) or the other PTSD all over again...aaargh

If there is an essential reason why there should deploy ie. they provide an operational expertise that no on else can provide - then students can be pulled for operations.

Wanting another medal or if their unit is going - is not a sufficient reason.

Latest Threads