Are squaddies in more debt than civvies ?

Do you think that squaddies run up more debt, or are in more debt than our illustrious civilian counterparts ? I have seen quite a few that are in the pooo.......have you lot out there......or maybe you are one..........let me know................ta

considering your average 30 something staffie or wo2 has nothing to show for his life other than a second hand bmw a rented house that looks like a sotat  trg area and a 20 stone wife iwould say he is in less debt than his strawberry mivvi counterpart who has a mortgage home improvement loan life etc..........

Its like everything else in life.

You get some squaddies who are up to thier eyeballs in debt and some civvies that are up to thier eyeballs in debt.

E

ex-dvr

If you believe stats, we British live approximately 20% above our yearly net income.

If that is true then you squaddies can't be in more debt than civvies as they don't pay you enough!!

E

error_unknown

I say three cheers for squaddies in the red.

Some of my finest purchases in the army were from guys who had bigger debts than Arthur Fowler.

You know the script, they buy a telly bigger than their room on the first of the month, and sell it you for forty quid on the 25th, just because theres a troop do on.

God bless em.

Mind you. I also managed to piss away £3500 insurance money in six weeks in 1990. All I had to show for it was a Minos Bar t-shirt and a throbbing pain in my kidneys.

3 grand saved from an NI tour,  blasted away in less than a month.

4 Grand saved in Kos tour, pissed away in 2 months.

I wonder if I'll ever learn.....

Getting back to the question:  Most squaddies in debt are young and do not realise the value of money.  Credit loan company's are always more than willing to lend cash to soldiers bacause if they miss the repayments the loan company's just go straight to the CO.  The cash gets taken out of the soldiers pay and he is on OC's orders and gets Restrictions for seven days.  The load company's always get their cash.  They know it and they take full advantage of young squaddies.

I reckon I have had more debts as a civvie that I ever did as a squaddie.

Difference is, as a civvie you can ignore them right up to the day they want to take you to court ;D

Credit loan company's are always more than willing to lend cash to soldiers bacause if they miss the repayments the loan company's just go straight to the CO.  The cash gets taken out of the soldiers pay and he is on OC's orders and gets Restrictions for seven days.  The load company's always get their cash.  They know it and they take full advantage of young squaddies.
I don't think that this is legal anymore - certainly in my last 3 units, the Adjt has informed the individual that a letter has been received but was unable to take any further action.

Any SPS bods willing to comment?

I once had an issue with Cellnet and refused to pay my bill as there were international calls on the bill that I hadn't made

Basically it had been cloned, in the days of the analogue handsets.

Cellnet took it upon themselves to write to the Adjt. The RSM marched me in and was given an absolute ass kicking from him.

Next day I called Cellnet and asked them to send a copy of the Data protection act, highlighting the part where it says they can discuss my finacial affairs with a stranger.

I also asked them to point out the parts that they contravened in doing so

As I had the letter as proof they couldn't deny it, my account was cleared and Ive heard nothing since, apart from a letter from the Body governing Data Protection

Squaddies revenge ;D

For the record, if there is anybody who is in debt and it's getting out of control, go to your local citizens advice beureau as they are fantastic and will work on your behalf with the companies that you owe money to, they will sort out new repayment schemes etc once you have sat down and done a full finanacial statement with them.

Another point to reiterate that I seen was covered a little earlier: YOU ARE SHEEP WAITING TO BE SHEERED IF YOU ARE A SERVING SOLDIER AS FAR AS FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS ARE CONCERNED.

I worked (for a short time) in one such institution and they totally love shafting the military. You see they can give you money cause they know you have a regular income.

Me and my old fella will not allow a credit card in the house and if we can't pay cash we don't buy it. That often means not having cars etc as nice as everybody elses but we have never had an argumnet over money and we sleep well at night. If you don't have it don't spend it. (Although I know life isn't always that simple)

if someone owes you moneythen you can quite rightly take it to small claims court and have it sorted there... if thay dont show up its a CCJ, if they still dont pay then you can (a) go for the contempt of court route and arrange a summons for arrest etc etc or get an attachment of earnings... at which point the attachement of earnings will get sent off to the employers HR dept... that goes for Civvy as well as military... although from personal experience as a young nipper i had a car volourntarily reposesed when i lost my job, i spoke to the finance company and they agreed to let me off 500 quid of the owed amount if i settled there and then.... communication is the way forward with such things... also If you dont have the assets and the money then no one can take it away from you...
also heard a duty rumour that for example you owe a firm 5k they take it to court, you offer 10p a week then they have to accept that payment as you have offered to pay... i dunno if there is any truth in this?

Latest Threads