Are resigning ministers entitled to £420,000 severance pay?

Mark_Addy

Old-Salt
It's my impression that the £420k figure refers to the total bill for all resigning ministers, summed together. As far as I can tell, such payments are statutory. Some ministers have apparently come out and said they will donate their payments to charity, as seems reasonable in the (unusual) circumstances.

Are resigning ministers entitled to £420,000 severance pay?

NO. If they cannot live on their basic which i understand is £84,000, + perks and expenses, yet lecture us, the faceless masses to " Tighten our purse strings, and live within our means" which is far less that they screw out the taxpayer, plus some have a secondary income from sleeping directorships, and on the after dinner speaker circuit, then we are well rid of them, and they should receive NOTHING. Fu@k em!

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
Book Reviewer
Of course they're entitled to it, its a contract, part of their T&Cs

Ministerial and Other Pensions and Salaries Act of 1991 refers.

MP's leaving office are entitled to a quarter of their annual ministerial salary as severance pay.

Boris is entitled to £18,660.

Last edited:
It's my impression that the £420k figure refers to the total bill for all resigning ministers, summed together. As far as I can tell, such payments are statutory. Some ministers have apparently come out and said they will donate their payments to charity, as seems reasonable in the (unusual) circumstances.
Correct. Despite the misleading headline, the full ITV report makes it clear that the figure is a total based on the entitlement to a quarter of ministerial salary.

CivviWalker

War Hero
Its a bit like the time the Sun said Corbyn was a multi-millionaire and had arrived at the amount by calculating the sum total of his salary before tax over the last 35 years and adding the current value of his house to it.It was very clever and a lot of people believed it.

No. They all get much less. And at least one is donating that to a local charity.

What a stupid bloody question :mrgreen:

Of course they’re entitled to it; it’s part of their employment contract.

Can we move this to the “grrr” section of Arrse as it’s just another case of someone trying to whip up moral outrage over rich toffs following the rule of law.

It’s like complaining that the General gets a huge pension.

Morning All,
Recieved this today if anybody's interested.
Screenshot as cannot link:frustrated:.
Screenshot_20220711-145705_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Of course they're entitled to it, its a contract, part of their T&Cs

Ministerial and Other Pensions and Salaries Act of 1991 refers.

MP's leaving office are entitled to a quarter of their annual ministerial salary as severance pay.

Boris is entitled to £18,660.

I don’t know, but think, the pension arrangement for former PM’s has changed. It used to be that they received a pension equivalent to half their salary even if they had only served one day in the post. Even if it has changed I doubt that they passed anything which would detriment themselves. PM’s pension entitlements applied to the speaker too.

Regardless of any pension, if they can stretch any function, event, or meeting they attend to being loosely connected to business of state as a former they can claim expenses. The Public Duties Cost Allowance allows former PM’s to claim up to £115,000.00 per year - as done by Blair, Major, May, Cameron and starting soon Johnson.

Edit to add:

A tabloid source states that reforms put in place by Cameron give the PM a post retirement age annual pension of, at present, £40,000. This will doubtless be inflation and cost of living proofed, so will, over the years rise to keep pace.

A former PM is also entitled to a protective detail. This used to be a single officer many years ago, but doubtless, with the situation nowadays and the threat level could probably change from a single officer to a full team. All the costs of salary (to include pension contributions, etc), logistics and transport for the detail being met out of the public purse. So even with a single officer providing 24/7/365 cover that would be around the £200,000 mark, probably a lot more.

A former PM can also call upon use of an at public expense chauffered limo.

Last edited:

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
Book Reviewer
I don’t know, but think, the pension arrangement for former PM’s has changed. It used to be that they received a pension equivalent to half their salary even if they had only served one day in the post. Even if it has changed I doubt that they passed anything which would detriment themselves. PM’s pension entitlements applied to the speaker too.

Regardless of any pension, if they can stretch any function, event, or meeting they attend to being loosely connected to business of state as a former they can claim expenses. The Public Duties Cost Allowance allows former PM’s to claim up to £115,000.00 per year - as done by Blair, Major, May, Cameron and starting soon Johnson.

The money being discussed relates to those MP's that hold and then leave an office of state. Not run of the mill MP's sitting on the back benches. 1/4 of annual pay is awarded. Most, if not all don't take it and bosch it over to a favourite charity.

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
Book Reviewer
WTAF? Those numbers appear to be in Crore.

An Indian custom, 1 crore=100,000. Hence the “1,70,796” and “2,00,000” figures.
It's a crap ad, if it's not a spoof and given that MP's who find themselves in this position give the money to charity, it's a knee jerk reaction by people who have no idea what is happening and jump on a Grrr Government bandwagon.

The money being discussed relates to those MP's that hold and then leave an office of state. Not run of the mill MP's sitting on the back benches. 1/4 of annual pay is awarded. Most, if not all don't take it and bosch it over to a favourite charity.

Even then though Boris is on a PM's salary not a ministers salary. Or does the nearly extra £80K he receives count as an allowance?

As for them stating "we don't take all our salary", Boris has whinged about how hard it is to make ends meet on his PM's salary having lost the ability to contribute to his column and other little earners. I also know for a fact that one PM, I shall not name the lady, was angered that she did not receive her monthly stipend early into her term. A minion was despatched from No.10 to the civil service pay office to hand collect a freshly written cheque.

It's a crap ad, if it's not a spoof and given that MP's who find themselves in this position give the money to charity, it's a knee jerk reaction by people who have no idea what is happening and jump on a Grrr Government bandwagon.

It does seem to be a real petition on change.org, but the numbers are in normal decimal. Maybe it's a localization setting on the person's computer that's promoting this.

It does seem to be a real petition on change.org, but the numbers are in normal decimal. Maybe it's a localization setting on the person's computer that's promoting this.
The person who created the petition took the £420k number to mean individual payouts rather than the global pot of money that was available.

Storm:teacup interface.

The person who created the petition took the £420k number to mean individual payouts rather than the global pot of money that was available.

Storm:teacup interface.

I was referring to the use of lakh in the numbers of signers. I erroneously described it as crore, which @Wee Hawken reminded me of. Not the actual complaint in the petition, which is clearly bollox.