Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Are Poles allowed in the British army?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Man

Swinger
I am a Polish lad (18 ) and I would really love to join the army. I don´t want to join the Polish military because I feel more attached to Britain.
Next month I am getting my citizenship because I have lived in Britain for more than 7 years and a British passport.
Is it possible to join the army as a person that was not born in the UK or the Commonwealth?
Are there any special procedures I must perform in order to join?
Thanks

I am a Polish lad (18 ) and I would really love to join the army. I don´t want to join the Polish military because I feel more attached to Britain.
Next month I am getting my citizenship because I have lived in Britain for more than 7 years and a British passport.
Is it possible to join the army as a person that was not born in the UK or the Commonwealth?
Thanks

Interesting question, I don't know the answer but I am sure someone will. Have you popped into your local Recruiting Office and asked?

I served in a regiment in the early 1980s that was two thirds Polish.

Interesting question, I don't know the answer but I am sure someone will. Have you popped into your local Recruiting Office and asked?

I served in a regiment in the early 1980s that was two thirds Polish.
Not yet but I surely will

As far as I know, you're OK as a British citizen born elsewhere - I have a friend in the RN who was born in Germany.

I should have thought any british citizen could join HM Armed Forces?

@Big Man although times and attitudes have changed, a lot of your countrymen came to our aid in the last little tussle with that bloke with the silly moustache. It is still remembered and appreciated.

Thanks
Yes, as a citizen, good luck.

Can I Join - British Army

Nationality - British Army

It could affect vetting for more sensitive roles but don't quote me.

Nationality rules have changed a lot in recent years. Back in the 80's when I worked in DNR, you could join if you had been born in a Commonwealth country and spent five years in UK. Lots of Saffers, Kiwis,Aussies etc came in as a result. This could be shortened on a case by case basis.

Since Maastricht I suspect any EU citizen citizen who has lived here for five years could be considered - but don't quote me.
Poland joined the EU in 2004 - so if you were born in 2000 you may have to wait a bit.

Be interested to know what the recruiters say - best of luck.

Thanks

Nie ma problemu.

A precedent has already been set.

Thanks

Polish bears are especially welcome, this chap made corporal:

602170-wwii.jpg

Thanks for help. As far as I am aware I have no British background but it is still worth trying. I am not going to join a sensitive role, like Intel, anyways. I was thinking either mechanical engineering or translating ( I speak 4 languages ).

Thanks for help. As far as I am aware I have no British background but it is still worth trying. I am not going to join a sensitive role, like Intel, anyways. I was thinking either mechanical engineering or translating ( I speak 4 languages ).
Joining as a Linguist inevitably means a sensitive role and enhanced vetting, but it shouldn’t be insurmountable. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.