Are Poles allowed in the British army?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a Polish lad (18 ) and I would really love to join the army. I don´t want to join the Polish military because I feel more attached to Britain.
Next month I am getting my citizenship because I have lived in Britain for more than 7 years and a British passport.
Is it possible to join the army as a person that was not born in the UK or the Commonwealth?
Are there any special procedures I must perform in order to join?
Thanks

I am a Polish lad (18 ) and I would really love to join the army. I don´t want to join the Polish military because I feel more attached to Britain.
Next month I am getting my citizenship because I have lived in Britain for more than 7 years and a British passport.
Is it possible to join the army as a person that was not born in the UK or the Commonwealth?
Thanks
Interesting question, I don't know the answer but I am sure someone will. Have you popped into your local Recruiting Office and asked?

I served in a regiment in the early 1980s that was two thirds Polish.

As far as I know, you're OK as a British citizen born elsewhere - I have a friend in the RN who was born in Germany.

I should have thought any british citizen could join HM Armed Forces?

@Big Man although times and attitudes have changed, a lot of your countrymen came to our aid in the last little tussle with that bloke with the silly moustache. It is still remembered and appreciated.

Thanks
Yes, as a citizen, good luck.

Can I Join - British Army

Nationality - British Army

It could affect vetting for more sensitive roles but don't quote me.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Nationality rules have changed a lot in recent years. Back in the 80's when I worked in DNR, you could join if you had been born in a Commonwealth country and spent five years in UK. Lots of Saffers, Kiwis,Aussies etc came in as a result. This could be shortened on a case by case basis.

Since Maastricht I suspect any EU citizen citizen who has lived here for five years could be considered - but don't quote me.
Poland joined the EU in 2004 - so if you were born in 2000 you may have to wait a bit.

Be interested to know what the recruiters say - best of luck.

Thanks
Nie ma problemu.

A precedent has already been set.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Thanks
Polish bears are especially welcome, this chap made corporal:

Thanks for help. As far as I am aware I have no British background but it is still worth trying. I am not going to join a sensitive role, like Intel, anyways. I was thinking either mechanical engineering or translating ( I speak 4 languages ).

Thanks for help. As far as I am aware I have no British background but it is still worth trying. I am not going to join a sensitive role, like Intel, anyways. I was thinking either mechanical engineering or translating ( I speak 4 languages ).
Joining as a Linguist inevitably means a sensitive role and enhanced vetting, but it shouldn’t be insurmountable. Good luck.

I served in Kosovo with a Czech doctor who had successfully completed selection (for the SAS) but could not serve with them.
I did a course with a highly motivated and brain the size of a planet RAF officer, was on resettlement because he couldn't get a DV due to his parents birthplace. A shame to lose talented people but the line has to be drawn somewhere.

I have no British background. If I get the citizenship does that mean I automatically become British?
You'll be fine as long as you become a citizen.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I couldn't decide whether to post here or the Shyte Nicknames thread.

At 12 Armd Wksp between 82-85, we had a Polish WO1, Igor Vadim O******off-R****sky. RAOC Stores Platoon iirc.

Known as Fred. I was possibly one of only a handful of people who actually knew his name, because I handled his pay account. I guess the Orderly Room clerks knew his name, but I may be being generous in attributing that ability to them.

Edit. Searching for the surname, a Vadim O-S died in 2014.

You're kidding me. One of the reasons that people voted to leave the EU was the immigration from EU former Eastern block countries, mainly Polish immigrants.

Well I did say "were", adding that times have changed.

Thought you'd flounced anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.