Are Officers (on the whole) brighter than NCO's?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Bushmills, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Officers

52 vote(s)
  2. SNCO's

38 vote(s)
  3. OR's

9 vote(s)
  4. Who cares?

80 vote(s)

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Discuss?
  2. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Yes and No. End of discussion :)
    • Like Like x 4
  3. Daft question. I've met Officers who were barking lunatics but I've rarely met a thick one. NCOs on the other hand....
    • Like Like x 3
  4. I hope it wasn't an officer who posted this drivel.

Firstly, it should be 'Who are the most clever', and,
    Secondly, 0/10 for the poor use of the apostrophes.

You fucking cretin.
    • Like Like x 5
  5. You forgot the question mark.
    • Like Like x 6
  6. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

It will depend on service to service as well. RN Observers and pilots tend to be very bright because there's a lot of applicants for limited places and intelligence is an attractive apptitude. But Artificers are also chosen for their brains. So I'd say in the Navy there are many officers who are brighter than many NCO's but there are also a lot of NCO's who are brighter than some officers. Flight crew are also better paid, get more sleep and are better at getting shags off impressional girlies than us mortals. But then again, they're statistically more likely to die horribly, in peace or war, so there's always a silver lining.
    • Like Like x 5
  7. It's important to acknowledge the difference in being bright and having common sense, two very different things IMHO.
    I've known plenty of blokes who could tell you the square route of a jar of pickles but couldn't work out how to open it if their life depended on it.
    Always worth following them if only to see what they're going to do next.

Great thread for getting a few bites mind.
    • Like Like x 4
  8. Sorry if I touched upon a raw nerve, my intention was light hearted banter, not offence.

Thanks for the critique of my grammar; do you find that you have problems dealing with others?

PS I have red lined a few similar issues with one of your recent posts, but I am sure that it does not reflect your IQ level.
  9. Careful, can leave a bitter taste
  10. "Brighter" as in that well known old analogy -they are like a lighthouse in the desert, extremely bright but totally fucking useless.

More intelligent - probably. More academically qualified - almost definitely. More practically minded - most definitely not. Better problem solvers - quite possibly not over a broad range of problems. But that last one brings us to the fact that officers and NCOs are different. They fulfill different roles, they work together and complement each other. Thats the whole point of the system. In reality you will find that officers will readily say that they couldn't do a decent job without their key NCOs and (at least in unguarded moments) most NCOs will acknowledge the abilities of their officers.

The army (or the forces in general) couldn't function efficiently without both officers and NCOs.
  11. Yes, they are.
  12. someone not too far from me is going LE soon....

I recently had to explain the concept of 'political voting' during the Eurovision song contest to him, resulting in him asking me if that was why America have never won.....
    • Like Like x 4
  13. ......or why Israel has.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. My second boss at 45 was ex SBS, quiffy haired bloke who used to go and hang off Scotland's cliff faces on ropes snapping rare birds at weekends, (or stealing eggs), he had a VW Camper van and was a top bloke. Not very sharp though believe it or not, he dropped a few administrative bollocks but redeemed himself by being a full on piss artist, he was ably supported by a couple of SNCO's who effectively ran the ship for him, he must have been fucking banzai though, in a one to one he said 'Mne ********** have you considered going for a commision?', he pinged me reading some heavy tome which led to a healthy conversation about Russian history and assumed I'd be perfect for another thrashing at Lympstone, I couldnt tie my laces at that point without being told :)
  15. Have officers had the benefit of a more privileged up bringing with access to the better education and opportunities that simply being a bit posh provides?

Does this mean they were born with a higher IQ?

It's a little known fact that it's cheaper to send a child to a private fee paying boarding school than it is to keep them in foster care or a children's home. The first tends to create a much better end result for the child (no life spent in prison) than the second yet strangely the likes of social services are not keen on having the oiks mixing with the children of rich people, they would rather spend the money doing something that fails the child but justifies them having a government pay cheque.