Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are nicknames discouraged for officer applicants?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As officers are supposed to exude professionalism, are childhood nicknames/pet names discouraged due to their informality or perceived juvenility?

E.g. If your friends call you Jonny but your name is Jonathan, would it damage your chances of becoming an officer if you introduce yourself as Jonny?

Or ditching your nickname Mikey for Michael, Danny for Daniel etc.

I'm asking as someone who goes by their childhood pet name. You would probably avoid them on your CV for professional jobs but is it an issue for army officers?

As officers are supposed to exude professionalism, are childhood nicknames/pet names discouraged due to their informality or perceived juvenile undertones?

E.g. If your friends call you Jonny but your name is Jonathan, would it damage your chances of becoming an officer if you introduce yourself as Jonny?

Or ditching your nickname Mikey for Michael, Danny for Daniel etc.

I'm asking as someone who goes by their childhood pet name. You would probably avoid them on your CV for professional jobs but is it an issue for army officers?
Am I going mad or did you make a very similar thread about half an hour ago?

You WILL end up being called Jonny.
Unless you have an amusing surname.
Live with it.

Or JonJon, or Jonners, or or Jonty, or Jay, or or or.

'Smeagol', eh?

His mother must have truly hated him.
It's been a long week and I had a banging hangover yesterday but I'm almost certain the same user posted the same thread about half an hour ago.

I ******* hope he did or I might need to have a lie down in a dark room until my memory conforms with reality again.

It's been a long week and I had a banging hangover yesterday but I'm almost certain the same user posted the same thread about half an hour ago.

I ******* hope he did or I might need to have a lie down in a dark room until my memory conforms with reality again.

Don't fret, chap - I suspect that your sanity is secure.

It's probable that @The_Duke was prowling about, saw the original dog toffee that is the subject matter and smited it, hip and thigh.

Well, from a quick scan of the New Threads, either the OP has a line to God and the mods have deleted it, or your hangover is of epic proportions.

Once had a half Korean guy in the same sqn, his nickname was Kato, he had no problems whatsoever with it, the CO heard someone call him it and was far from impressed.

He did.
is his middle name livingstone?

Change your name to Rupert. No-one will suspect a thing...

Had a troop commander with a doubled barrelled name, McDonald- William's. Was known as BMW, as in "here comes that bastard McDonald- williams".
Also knew a female officer Orrel-Jones, known as Oral Jones.

Euclid

War Hero
One chap going by the name of Malachy corrected someone who called him ‘Mal’ on day 1 at Sandhurst. ‘My name is Malachy, not Mal’

He was still being called ‘Mal’ 20 years later.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Back from Omagh, we got a Rupert fresh out of the factory cos Ralfy, our SSgt troop leader moved to the GW Troop (they also subsequently got a Rupert).

Squadron Leader, First Parade, calls the officers to him. They gather round him and he says stuff. Any questions? Rommel (we hadn't started calling him Rommel yet, because he hadn't yet taken a liking to wearing issue Scorpion goggles in the turret — that nobody else wore, cos they were sh¡t — but let's call him Rommel. Cos we did) opens his mouth.

"Jimmers..." Stern looks from OC and all the officers, barely suppressed mirth from the rank and file.

"In the Mess, not on parade!" replied the Squadron Leader, pointedly, but not quietly enough for the Squadron not to hear.

Fast forward seven months to Christmas in UNFICYP. 4th Troop get R&R. We hire a car and bimble round Cyprus. Christmas Day finds us in Stavros' Bar on the beach at Larnaca. So is Ralfy and GW Troop. We eat Christmas Dinner together. It turns out that 6th are at the Box Factory at Ayios Nikolaos, but they'd booked dinner the previous fortnight when they'd rotated through the Larnaca UN bungalow.

I must one day have a look at the Box Factory to see if still painted on the roof is, "Merry Christmas, Jimmers and Tanky" (the SSM) who'd dropped in by helicopter to wish them a happy Christmas. Amused they weren't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads